#1 Defulmmt

Defulmmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 20 September 2023 - 05:21 PM

I’m about to replace the 10/2 wire from the truck battery to the camper battery.  I have these components

ATC 2021 Panther

2019 Superduty (I don’t believe that the truck has a smart alternator)

6 awg cable (2 conductors)

(2) 80 amp circuit breakers for each end of 6 awg cable

(1) 30 amp circuit breaker for 160 watt roof top solar

Renogy 50amp dcdc with mppt controller 

Battle Born 100amp 12v

I can purchase 25’ of carflex 3/4 inch nonmetallic conduit to run the cables at a reasonable price.  Is this recommended to protect the cables from weather and road conditions?  The existing cable is interior use 10/2 romex.  One thought I have is that if the 6 awg cable causes too much voltage drop I could fish a 4 awg cable through the conduit fairly easily.  Two 6awg cables fit easily in 3/4 inch carflex, but I’m not sure about 4 awg cables.  Is conduit to protect the wiring necessary?  I’d like this to last 10 years or more.

I see that the existing 10/2 cable ve- is connected to the same chassis point as the ve- cable from the battery.  Is this the preferred grounding point?  I assumed I’d run the cable to the negative battery post.

My first thought was to install the 80 amp breakers close to each battery.  That would place the breaker between the dcdc and the camper battery on a short cable run, probably less than 2 feet.  My current thought is placing it before the dcdc based on what I’ve learned here ( in fact, everything I know about this upgrade I’ve learned here).

Any insights on best practices will be appreciated.  And thanks to the masters of electrons that share such good advice on this forum.

2021 ATC Panther

2019 F250 Superduty

#2 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 21 September 2023 - 06:12 PM

Hello Defulmmt
I have done pretty much same 6awg but not in conduit. I think it’s a 60amp circuit breaker up at the battery under hood. Another circuit breaker just before the positive terminal on the lithium battery in camper. The pos and neg go straight to the controller in the camper with in 12 inches of battery. A renogy 30 amp dcdc with the solar mppt . I used a Anderson connector out side the anchor point door on the passenger side to be able to disconnect camper from truck. Most current seen is 25 amps but battery seldom gets below 60%
I’m not an electrical expert by any means.
So can’t help with conduit. Have been very happy with wire upgrades.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#3 Defulmmt

Defulmmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 21 September 2023 - 10:48 PM

Thanks Russ, carlon flex is probably overkill but a split wire loom to protect the cables seems appropriate.

I’m currently searching for a connecter to use for protecting the cables where they penetrates the aluminum truck bed.  I found a cable gland in the shop that I previously used on a junction box.  It holds the cables securely and with some loctite and caulk it would probably work.  There must be a better product for this, but this is what I have.  Hoping someone suggests something better.

2021 ATC Panther

2019 F250 Superduty

#4 Defulmmt

Defulmmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 21 September 2023 - 11:03 PM

I had the thought to search the forum for “bulkhead” and found a post where Vic had recommended this product:

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,163&sr=8-1

The downside seems to be 4 additional cable connectors and crimps.  I wonder about protecting the cable and posts from the elements.

2021 ATC Panther

2019 F250 Superduty

#5 Defulmmt

Defulmmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 21 September 2023 - 11:49 PM

This is the cable gland I found in my shop.  It secures two 6 awg cables.  Loctite to make sure nothing comes loose, caulk to waterproof.  Still searching for a more appropriate bulkhead connector. 

Attached Files

2021 ATC Panther

2019 F250 Superduty

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 22 September 2023 - 01:38 AM

Search for "marine cable gland" .  There are quite a variety from which to choose.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 22 September 2023 - 11:58 AM

Search for "marine cable gland" .  There are quite a variety from which to choose.

Paul

if you are coming in from the side of the cargo bed, a "marine cable gland" works well.   My duplex #6 gauge wiring was jacketed and the 3/4" size gland was a good fit. The gland is made of plastic, so it has the advantage of being a good insulator.

https://www.amazon.c...896844444&psc=1

Andrew in Austin, TX

#8 Defulmmt

Defulmmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 23 September 2023 - 08:35 PM

Thanks guys, I’ve already ordered one.

One question about them, do they provide enough strain relief or do they require the conductors to be secured to the bulkhead immediately before or after the marine cable gland.

thx,

2021 ATC Panther

2019 F250 Superduty

#9 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 23 September 2023 - 09:48 PM

When you get one of the marine glands you'll notice a ring of plastic teeth that tighten up around the wire when the outer nut is screwed down. 

Andrew in Austin, TX

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 24 September 2023 - 02:26 AM

I had the thought to search the forum for “bulkhead” and found a post where Vic had recommended this product:

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,163&sr=8-1

The downside seems to be 4 additional cable connectors and crimps.  I wonder about protecting the cable and posts from the elements.

mine are holding up nicely.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users