#21 Defulmmt

Defulmmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 15 October 2023 - 11:23 PM

I completed the project and did a “smoke” test late in the afternoon. I saw 25 amps from the alternator which seems right since the solar charge was pretty low due to time of day and cloud cover.  That was a relief!

A couple of notes on wiring:

The solar wiring that ATC installed is 12 awg.  I have a 160 watt panel so 12 awg is adequate but is that wiring limited to 20 amps?  I noticed that the +pv line has 2 inline fuses, one is 30 amps and the other is 20 amps.  That strikes me as a bit odd.  Do other ATC owners have 12 awg solar wiring?

I installed an 80 amp Blue Sea CB at each end of the 6awg cable, close to the starting battery and just before the Renogy dcdc.  I also installed a 30 amp CB on the +ve line between the camper battery and the distribution panel.  The Renogy came with a 60 amp fuse and the manual shows this fuse between the camper battery and the dcdc.  I didn’t do this thinking that the circuit breakers I installed on the 6awg line was adequate.  Is this assumption correct?

Here’s a few photos of the setup.  Note the venting on the battery box for venting the box for the dcdc related heat.  The intention is the upper and lower vents will establish a convection loop. 

Any suggestions are always appreciated. 

2021 ATC Panther

2019 F250 Superduty

#22 Defulmmt

Defulmmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 15 October 2023 - 11:25 PM

Photos…

Attached Files

2021 ATC Panther

2019 F250 Superduty

#23 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 October 2023 - 02:51 AM

I didn’t do this thinking that the circuit breakers I installed on the 6awg line was adequate.  Is this assumption correct?

Looking good.  Your assumption is correct.

#24 Defulmmt

Defulmmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 17 October 2023 - 08:43 PM

Thanks Vic for all your efforts on this site.

What follows is a list of the best practices I’ve learned about installing a dcdc.  I hope any errors will be noted and omissions added.

1. Choose the correct size wire to connect the truck battery to the camper dcdc.  I chose 6 awg installing it in an F250 with a crew cab and a 6’9” bed.  4 awg would have served the purpose with lower voltage decrease.  I used 6 awg welding cable for the connection.  It was very easy to work with and probably worth the additional cost. 
  2. Install the appropriate amperage circuit breakers at both ends of the 6 awg cable.  I used the Blue Sea 80 amp breaker that is frequently recommended on this forum.
  3. I used two cable glands to pass the 6awg cable through the truck bed.  I enlarged the hole that ATC made when they ran their 10 awg cable to the camper.  I installed a common cable gland in the hole to protect the cable from the bed metal.  Next I installed a marine cable gland to the truck bed exterior.
  4. I used a hammer crimper to crimp the cable lugs to the cable.  For a hammer I used a hand held sledge hammer. A $9 solution that worked well.  One caveat… you want to crimp your cables before installing them.  That adds a little complexity to sizing the length of the 6 awg cable.  I suppose that a ratchet style crimper would let you crimp the lug and cable after you installed the cable to the exact length.
  5. I used 75 amp Anderson Power Pole connectors in the passenger side front wheel well to connect the camper wiring to the cable from the truck battery.
  6. I terminated the ve- 6 awg cable to the chassis ground as suggested earlier in this thread.  K7MDL raised this issue.  I tested the output of my alternator using various loads (headlights, air conditioning etc) but the output held steady under all loads at 14.7x.  I assume this indicates it is a standard not a smart alternator. 
  7. I connected the ve- cable in the camper to a negative bus bar.  I also connected any ve- cables from downstream loads to the negative busbar.
  8. I installed a Renogy 500 amp shunt and monitor.  I connected one side of the shunt to the negative bus bar and the other side of the shunt to the ve- terminal on the lithium battery.  I used some leftover 6 awg wellding cable for these connections.  The welding cable makes it easy to work in the tight space of a camper battery box.
  9. I connected the ve+ cables to the Blue Sea circuit breakers.
  10. The Renogy dcdc was very easy to connect the required cables.  The simplicity of the Renogy is a selling point, but I believe it lacks features that other dcdc chargers mentioned on this website have.
  11. I installed a 30 amp Blue Sea breaker in the 10 awg cable that runs between the truck and the distribution panel in the camper.  Any additional ve+ cables in the camper not connected to the distribution box have an appropriate in line fuse.

2021 ATC Panther

2019 F250 Superduty

#25 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 October 2023 - 03:10 AM

Looks good Defulmmt!

#26 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 18 October 2023 - 01:10 PM

Congratulations on your installation. Very nice and clean!

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#27 GaryRpg

GaryRpg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 January 2024 - 03:18 AM

Job: Upgrade wiring from the vehicle battery to camper battery in Four Wheel Camper

Goal: Reduce the time needed to recharge the camper battery

Specifics in my case: 2017 Fleet Shell model, routing from truck battery to the camper at a BlueSea BatteryLink™ Automatic Charging Relay - 12V/24V DC 120A

Cost: Estimated to be about $225 in materials plus $40 for a new tool (who doesn’t need a new tool?)

14 Jan 2024

Edited by GaryRpg, 15 April 2024 - 06:42 PM.

#28 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 20 January 2024 - 02:22 PM

If you are doing all this - I recommend adding a DC to DC charger near the auxiliary battery in the camper instead of an ACR for two reasons. 

First, the DC to DC charger will take the incoming voltage and bump it up a bit to the proper charging profile needed by which ever type of battery is installed in the camper. 

Second, in my now 19 year old truck with a 120 amp alternator - the DC to DC charger limits the maximum current draw from the truck battery. 

Also, I used the Marinco 70 amp trolling motor plug and receptacle in my install - it require the use of a fairly deep electrical box at the front of the truck's cargo bed.  In 20/20 hindsight, an Anderson plug rated for the proper amperage would have been easier to install.

https://www.amazon.c...105&sr=8-2&th=1

Edited by TacomaAustin, 20 January 2024 - 02:24 PM.

Andrew in Austin, TX

#29 GaryRpg

GaryRpg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 09:51 PM

Thanks TacomaAustin.

Are you recommending removing the existing BlueSea ACR and replacing with a DC DC charger? This almost doubles the cost of the upgrade.

Two options that I'm considering, both Victron - one is isolated and one is non-isolated, I don't run sensitive electronics from the camper battery while driving so it looks like a non-isolated charger would be OK. Any thoughts on this?

Amazon.com: Victron Energy Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-Volt 30 amp 360-Watt DC-DC Charger Non-Isolated (Bluetooth) : Automotive

Amazon.com: Victron Energy Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-Volt 30 amp 360-Watt DC-DC Charger Isolated (Bluetooth) : Automotive

I like that Anderson protective cover but I'm still left with the issue of protecting the cables where they route through the hole in the sidebed.

I'm not sure if it matters but I'm also upgrading to a SOK 208Ah lithium battery with a Victron MPPT controller (Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 100V 30 amp 12/24-Volt Solar Charge Controller (Bluetooth)) that will replace the existing Zamp PWM controller.

#30 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 21 January 2024 - 10:53 PM

"I'm not sure if it matters but I'm also upgrading to a SOK 208Ah lithium battery with a Victron MPPT controller (Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 100V 30 amp 12/24-Volt Solar Charge Controller (Bluetooth)) that will replace the existing Zamp PWM controller"

If you plan on installing a 208Ah lithium battery, then I highly recommend installing a DC to DC charger to cap the amount of amps that can be drawn through your AWG #6 gauge wiring and boost the voltage up to the correct profile for a LiFePO4.

With regards to the Marinco plug and socket I have no quibbles over its build and performance other than to me it is bulky set up. 

Andrew in Austin, TX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users