• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 25 September 2023 - 07:20 PM

I have a 2014 Hawk with the original 12v AGM lead-acid battery that FWC installed in the camper when new.  The charging system is the stock system with the battery monitor that FWC used at that time.  I keep the camper plugged into shore power at all times when the camper is not in use.

On a recent trip the battery monitor showed 2/3 charge when in past it had always showed full charge.  When I returned home I checked the battery with volt meter and measured resting voltage at 12.1v and with the water pump running and the 3-way refrigerator on the 12v source I measured 11.8v.

My question - is it time to replace the nine-year old battery?  If so, what type and where is a good place to purchase one?

To be clear, I understand that there are a number of improvements I can make to the basic FWC installed electrical system.  However, I don't use much power and typically drive the truck every day when camping which recharges the battery.  The current system has always met my needs and I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Appreciate everyone's input.

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#2 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 26 September 2023 - 12:15 AM

You can take your battery down to the auto parts store and they can test it for you. 9 years sounds about right to show signs of deterioration. Never letting it go below 50% is a must for longevity. I agree with your ain't broke don't fix it motto. If it is meeting your needs then I say stick with another AGM. I love my lithium set up but it does involve other upgrades to the system as you mentioned.

I use VMAX AGM batteries in my off grid cabin. They have performed flawlessly for 10 years now. Super heavy but great performers and have been very reliable. 

#3 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 12:32 AM

I've stuck with the AGM because like you, I don't require much 12v power and didn't want to spend money on something I don't need. Last replacement I installed a Renogy 100ah AGM  and have been very happy with it's performance. What ever brand you go with, get a dedicated deep cycle battery not a dual purpose type. Check Renogy's website for sales, I got a deal on mine. 

Edited by Beach, 26 September 2023 - 12:34 AM.

#4 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 26 September 2023 - 01:12 AM

The above advice makes a lot of sense. We spent $1300+ on our lithium conversion, doing all the labor ourselves. Our battery needs are different and it's been working great (we love it), but getting another AGM battery would have been a lot easier!

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 26 September 2023 - 03:09 AM

+1 to stick with AGM for your needs.

#6 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 26 September 2023 - 03:54 AM

Whatever you do I recommend adding a battery monitor to your setup - a Victron BVM-712 or equivalent.

As Cpt Davenport wrote: If you routinely limit discharging to no more than 50% of full charge and always fully recharge before discharging again and keep it on a good quality battery maintainer if you let it sit then you should expect to get 9 or more years out of an AGM battery.

If you switch to lithium you may need to upgrade your battery charger and add a dc_dc charger between the truck and camper as well as pay for the lithium battery which could add up to $1500 - $2000.  You can replace the AGM and add a solar charging system for less. 

If you do add solar I recommend getting the largest solar panel that will fit on your camper, hopefully att leat 360 watts. A 360 watt solar panel will weigh about 40 pounds and cost around $325, a Victron 100/30 smart solar charge controller will cost about $250 and a Victron BVM-712 will cost about $195.  You might need to upgrade to 60 pound lift struts which will cost around $50 for two.

I hope this is helpful.

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 26 September 2023 - 03:55 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users