#11 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 October 2023 - 11:01 PM

2 thoughts on your desire to access the fridge/cooler from outside:

1) The closer the fridge is to the back of the truck the more the stuff in it will be subjected to bumps and other motions.  Think "back of the bus".  We had a few "fridge surprises" that got me to move the fridge to the front of the camper.  No more issues with stuff spread out all over the inside of the truck or fridge since that move was made

2) Cooler on the outside.... no bears or such where you camp?

Vic

#12 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 October 2023 - 12:54 AM

Thanks so much for the info.  Do you have any pictures of your inside build? I'm also interested in the external shore power being stubbed in.  Since I'm getting a shell I assumed there wasn't going to be any place for external shore power to connect.  All I really need it for is the occasional use of a small electric heater when it's not that cold at night. I'm planning on getting the 30" door.  Marty said he is now installing round top doors so that's exciting, as long as they're water tight that is.  

I can get you photos after I clean things up, it’s still messy from my last trip.  If the electrical connection is all you want, I suspect Marty will put it where it would be most convenient for you.  Be aware you will have to connect the interior wiring.   I knew Marty received received the first batch of round top doors, and I agree that water tight is most important.

I am haunted by waters

#13 Tilldawn

Tilldawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 October 2023 - 02:28 AM

2 thoughts on your desire to access the fridge/cooler from outside:

1) The closer the fridge is to the back of the truck the more the stuff in it will be subjected to bumps and other motions.  Think "back of the bus".  We had a few "fridge surprises" that got me to move the fridge to the front of the camper.  No more issues with stuff spread out all over the inside of the truck or fridge since that move was made

2) Cooler on the outside.... no bears or such where you camp?

Vic

Good point about the fridge bounce.  I wish that there was a way to be able to access it from the outside but you can't have everything.  The Tundra's double cab back seat door doesn't open wide enough to put it on a slide in there.  I may be able to put it there and access it without pulling it out but that would involve moving dog crates every time I get to camp.  Also, the cab of the truck will get hotter than the inside of the camper.  Right now I'm writing all of the positive's and negatives down with different options.  And I definitely do camp around bears as much as I dislike them so that's another valid point. 

#14 Tilldawn

Tilldawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 October 2023 - 02:30 AM

I can get you photos after I clean things up, it’s still messy from my last trip.  If the electrical connection is all you want, I suspect Marty will put it where it would be most convenient for you.  Be aware you will have to connect the interior wiring.   I knew Marty received received the first batch of round top doors, and I agree that water tight is most important.

Thanks, pics would be great when you get a chance.

#15 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 06:50 PM

Dawn, here’s a shot of the passenger side.  The driver side is similar except for the furnace in the back corner.  Pretty simple.

gallery_4841_1080_1665099.jpeg

I am haunted by waters

#16 Tilldawn

Tilldawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 06:56 PM

Dawn, here’s a shot of the passenger side. The driver side is similar except for the furnace in the back corner. Pretty simple.

gallery_4841_1080_1665099.jpeg

Thanks, this is just what I'm looking for. I like the front access to the storage. Did you build it or did Marty and his team?

#17 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 07:11 PM

I built that with 1/2” ply and the aluminum angle.  Sorry about the blue paint, I couldn’t find the Seal Gray that Marty uses.  Note the straps holding the containers.  They’re secured by footman loops top and bottom.

If I did it again, I’d probably hinge the front instead of the cubby holes.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users