#1 Defulmmt

Defulmmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 06 October 2023 - 02:53 PM

I’m in the middle of rewiring the cabling between the camper and truck and in the process took the camper off the truck.  When I removed the oem front turnbuckles the grooves on the turnbuckle where at the upper end of the turnbuckle.  This is consistent with what I have previously read (can’t recall where).

When I removed the rear turnbuckles the grooves were on the lower end of the turnbuckle.  Is this correct?  This is the first time I’ve removed the camper, turnbuckles were installed by ATC at installation. 

2021 ATC Panther

2019 F250 Superduty

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 October 2023 - 03:01 PM

I’m in the middle of rewiring the cabling between the camper and truck and in the process took the camper off the truck.  When I removed the oem front turnbuckles the grooves on the turnbuckle where at the upper end of the turnbuckle.  This is consistent with what I have previously read (can’t recall where).

When I removed the rear turnbuckles the grooves were on the lower end of the turnbuckle.  Is this correct?  This is the first time I’ve removed the camper, turnbuckles were installed by ATC at installation. 

I’ll go check my camper, but I believe grove on the bottom is what ATC recommends.  If I’m wrong, I’ll update this.

I am haunted by waters

#3 drumwood

drumwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 October 2023 - 03:51 PM

Marty told me to put the grooves on the bottom on all turnbuckles. Then you have “righty tightly, lefty loosely” all around. I think that is the main reason, so it’s not confusing which way to turn any turnbuckle.

#4 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 07 October 2023 - 12:45 AM

On our camper I put the turnbuckles so a jam nut is within easy reach.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#5 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 07 October 2023 - 01:02 PM

My turnbuckles aren't groovy...is that some sort of sixtys thing ?

https://www.tractors...ckle-galvanized

David Graves

#6 Defulmmt

Defulmmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 07 October 2023 - 08:15 PM

Thanks fellas, I installed the turnbuckles grooves down and added a jam nut. 

2021 ATC Panther

2019 F250 Superduty

#7 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 10 October 2023 - 12:41 PM

I would get some new turnbuckles that have a threaded nut on the end (see picture) as they won't come off and get high grade hardware.  Put large "washers" / backer plates rather than the little washers used from the factory. The pictures attached are from my Eagle and before I replaced the eye bolt with upgraded versions (higher grade).  Backer plates are sandwiched between the truck bed and the camper wood mountining locations.  

Attached Thumbnails

• backing plate 2.jpg
  • backing plate.jpg
  • turnbuckle.jpg

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users