Photo
- - - - -

Have You Ever Needed to Push the SOS Button?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 09 October 2023 - 06:57 PM

Here's a very honest presentation of a woman running into health issues and making the decision to push the button, and then how it plays out after pushing the SOS.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 October 2023 - 10:17 PM

Interesting timing since I just renewed my airmedcare. I've never come close yet to pushing the button but her situation is a good one for discussion. I've also assumed I'd know I needed to push it and sadly in this case I probably wouldn't have pushed the button. Us old guys always think we can just tough it out. 

Its also good to see just how long it took even after getting a helicopter dispatched. I'm sure a lot of people think you push the button and boom, help arrives. If it had been a ground rescue it would been all the more important to push that button early.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 10 October 2023 - 02:46 AM

I've been involved in two helicopter rescues in the remote mountains. One was pre-cell phone, and that one took 9 hours from when I first stumbled on the injured party until he was flown out. The first helicopter couldn't lower down to him, so they sent for an army helicopter with well-trained people. He was unconscious for about a week, so injured pretty badly.

The other was my first use of a cell phone. I didn't even know which buttons to push, but somehow got through to 911 and our injured party member (broken leg) was rescued a few hours later. He's still climbing mountains like crazy.

So yes, it takes time, and knowing first aid can be vital. Our county which is rich in trails and mountains and a large population has a very active search and rescue group with a dedicated helicopter. But many others don't have a well trained team and equipment.

Last November I pushed our InReach SOS button after we found a deceased person (the ski3pins were on that trip). That process worked very well -- they really took care of us. The authorities showed up within about 2 hours via ground. It really helps to pair a cell phone to your InReach device as there was quite a bit of back and forth "texting".

Edited by rubberlegs, 10 October 2023 - 02:51 AM.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 10 October 2023 - 12:31 PM

Very interesting.  I've been close to pushing the button when we couldn't find my girlfriend when we all (3 of us) separated to do our own thing during the day.  We had discussed where we were going, etc. and we couldn't find her and the dog.  I hiked many miles yelling for the dog thinking the dog would hear me before she would and if she was in trouble the dog would come.... we were within 15 minutes of pushing the button when they appeared....

On a separate note, I recently had to call 911.  I was reluctant to call (as the women in the video was to push the button).  I never thought I'd call 911 but I did after calling my girlfriend and telling her what was going on and she immediately told me to call.  I thought I could wait for her to come get me and take me to the hospital but 911 was the best / better option.  

I'm glad this woman's ordeal had a happy ending.  I guess you never know when or where or what will happen so be prepared and as difficult as it is to ask for help, do it.  I think when we're younger ,we never think we'll need help but there are cases/circumstances that we most certainly do.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 02:18 PM

Interesting....from my local SAR experience, most folks are not lost......until it gets DARK !

David Graves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users