4 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 October 2023 - 03:58 AM

Just took a quick trip to fill in some spots on the Tahoe National Forest I'm not familiar with. Stopped by Webber Lake, all closed up. Meadow Lake CG had some tree work going on so I headed over to Jackson Meadows Res. Most of the campgrounds were closed but two were open. I had my choice of either, not a soul in either one. Some restrooms were closed but not the CXT's. Then on to Lake of the Woods. Once again not a soul in the campground. 

IMG_20231019_133751156%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Unfortunately a lof of controlled burns going on so it was a bit hazy. 

IMG_20231019_151541927%5B1%5D-L.jpg

I attempted to head over to Bassets but they had a huge logging operation going on, biggest I've seen in many years and I missed the turn and wound up at Yuba pass.

Too bad I didn't bring a fishing pole to Lake of the Woods.  I wasn't aware they have started planting Cutthroat trout there. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 21 October 2023 - 02:40 PM

Nice work! Isn't this time of year the best!

Thanks for sharing.

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,347 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 October 2023 - 05:44 PM

Glad to see you out and about Craig! How did Riley like the trip? Last week was darn nice up here. We hope it continues. October is great.  It's good to see the fuels reduction projects and the prescribed burns. But, we've had smoke settle in here during the overnights. Julie did a solo hike up Ralston in Desolation Wilderness on the 17th. She called me from the summit as she saw a smoke column appear as she was taking in the vistas.

JulieRalston-202310-005-copy.webp

She was concerned and she took a compass bearing from the summit. I quickly determined the USFS had just lit off the Wharf Whale Prescribed Fire.

We enjoyed your story and we located all your stops on the map. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 October 2023 - 06:01 PM

Riley always enjoys camping. Swam a bit in Lake of the Woods. Chased some squirrels. If I wasn't aware of the controlled burns I'd have been concerned. I took a look at the weather and decided it was too nice not to take advantage of. Never know if we'll have more nice days or not. I did miss Shakeout23 on the 19th. Hopefully I'll have time and weather for one last trip down 395. Two marathons coming up I've volunteered for might screw things up. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,347 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 October 2023 - 06:19 PM

Riley always enjoys camping. Swam a bit in Lake of the Woods. Chased some squirrels. If I wasn't aware of the controlled burns I'd have been concerned. I took a look at the weather and decided it was too nice not to take advantage of. Never know if we'll have more nice days or not. I did miss Shakeout23 on the 19th. Hopefully I'll have time and weather for one last trip down 395. Two marathons coming up I've volunteered for might screw things up. 

It's calling, Craig. It's calling. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users