• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:55 PM

Ok due to economy I haven't broken down and spent the $400.00 bucks on the camera yet, but I thought I would tell you about our trip anyway. We spent 7 days in the camper and I really didn't want to come back, but reality over- ruled. From Livermore (home) we went up over 108 and spent the night just over the Sierra Pass. Next day we drove down Hwy 395(up the hill) to Coyote Flats(I learned of this on the forum here)west of Bishop(about 30 miles of 4x4 trail). Had a great ride and lots of exploring. Woke up to a left rear flat. Ah, I love being able to fix things. Checked out a small mine the next morning and down the hill to Bishop. It was Sunday so nothing open to fix the tire. So being the Wanderer I am, checked out the flat and found I had a small leak of some sort. Bought a can of fix a flat at the local automotive store that was open (K Mart) and on our way to Bristle Pine Forest. That was cool. Spend the night there and explored "lightly" some local four wheel drive roads. Next, back up to Mamouth Lakes. Spent the next two nights at another place I found here on the forum "Deadman Creek". It was a cool place and the camp ground host was a good guy and we did a lot of exploring around the local lakes(only two other campers in the camp ground). I collect rocks so I really enjoyed this place. Lots of interesting geology. Next day up to Green Creek a little south east of Bridgeport. This is hidden treasure, really pretty mountain views and an interesting stream (about 8 1/2 miles off the main road, but worth the ride). Lots of downed trees and beaver dams in the creek. We were planning to spend another night in the area (up on Hwy 4), but the wind was blowing like hell and it was getting closer to zero degrees out last night so we came home.

Today, clean the camper and put new brakes on the truck. Monday, new tires.

I guess the camera will have to wait a little longer. At least were out there. Best thing about the Bobcat is the heater. We would have froze without it. Thanks to the little Tacoma as it chugged right along.

Thanks for listening.

Darryl
ATC Bobcat, 4x4 std cab Tacoma.

ATC Bobcat, 2001 Tacoma 4X4, Supersprings, Bilsteins, Hewig Stabalizer

#2 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:35 PM

Sounds like fun, except for the tire, that is. I know what you mean about not wanting to come back, but duty (or something like that) calls. I am not a camera buff, but we find our Canon SX100IS does a great job for what we want to do and it was less than $400.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#3 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:29 AM

Thank you, Argonaught20 for the tip. I will check it out.

Regards,

Darryl

Sounds like fun, except for the tire, that is. I know what you mean about not wanting to come back, but duty (or something like that) calls. I am not a camera buff, but we find our Canon SX100IS does a great job for what we want to do and it was less than $400.

#4 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:47 AM

We bought a Canon PowerShot A480 from Amazon. It takes great pictures and videos for less than $100!

#5 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:30 PM

just think though, on the bright side, new tires! once the brakes are done you will be all set up!

yahoo!
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#6 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:31 PM

Brakes done. Truck and camper cleaned. Tires early next week. Next weekend I think we will go up HWY 4 to Mt Reba. There is a 4X4 trail I want to check out.

Have fun and thank you all for the tips.

Darryl

#7 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:28 AM

After Mt. Reba it's Dollywood and Lake WillyNelson?

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#8 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:36 AM

Actually chnlisle if I had it my way I would spend a month down in your area exploring old ghost towns.

Regards,

Darryl

#9 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:11 PM

Nice report! All great places to spend a night or two. The power shot 480 is my point & click of choice also. If you want to get a little higher up on hwy 4, I would recommend pacific valley cg past mosquito lakes (if you're heading east) between the two summits. It's free and usually you'll have the place to yourselves this time of year. Also Highland Lakes is a good one a little off the beaten path.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users