• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 14 November 2023 - 02:36 AM

So far every time we have been near the forest off of 395 to the 168 out of Big Pine, the roads have been closed. We have yet to make it to the Bristlecones usually because of snow. We are staying at Benton this Sunday an Monday and would like to give it another shot. Can any of you folks from that zone confirm we can drive up to them on 11/20? 

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 November 2023 - 04:00 PM

View from Benton this morning. No snow on Montgomery and Boundary but we only see the sunny windward side. Who knows what this incoming storm cycle will do. It would be best to call the White Mountain Ranger District office - Inyo National Forest.

Low here this morning was 21.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 14 November 2023 - 04:16 PM

We made it up there on April 3 2022 -- but there were 'proceed at your own risk' signs and patches of older drifts on the road. Still had snow in the parking lot. Good luck -- they are well worth visiting.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#4 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 15 November 2023 - 12:31 AM

We made it up there on April 3 2022 -- but there were 'proceed at your own risk' signs and patches of older drifts on the road. Still had snow in the parking lot. Good luck -- they are well worth visiting.

I heard it closes down in September. I will make some calls this week and hopefully get a confirmation. Nice to hear your recommendation that it is well worth visiting!

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 15 November 2023 - 12:51 AM

Yes, the Schulman Grove (vistors center) closed the end of September although the trails and parking remain open until Inyo County closes the gate on White Mountain Road -

Ancient Bristlecone Pine Visitors Center

Schulman Grove Map

and.......

Inyo County Road Status

The bristlecone pines are well worth a trip, as are the views from White Mountain Road. White Mountain Road is paved to the Schulman Grove.

The Patriarch Grove is much further out the gravel road at 11,000 feet.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 15 November 2023 - 01:40 AM

Thanks Ski ! SO by the looks of you road status details, the roads to the pines are currently open. I can park at the visitor center and hike out. Is there a loop trail or is it up and back? What is the approximate distance from the parking to the bristlecones?

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 15 November 2023 - 01:46 AM

Thanks Ski ! SO by the looks of you road status details, the roads to the pines are currently open. I can park at the visitor center and hike out. Is there a loop trail or is it up and back? What is the approximate distance from the parking to the bristlecones?

You’ve got a great chance at good weather.   I just put both sets of chains on Big Red the tractor, fueled and started Mini Red the snow blower, so that means no snow (at least around here) for at least two weeks.

:)

I am haunted by waters

#8 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 15 November 2023 - 01:49 AM

You’ve got a great chance at good weather.   I just put both sets of chains on Big Red the tractor, fueled and started Mini Red the snow blower, so that means no snow (at least around here) for at least two weeks.

:)

Isn't that the way it goes?!!! 

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 15 November 2023 - 02:06 AM

Cpt, both trails at Schulman Grove are loop trails. There are bristlecone pines at the parking lot. If the rock turns to limestone, there are bristlecones about. :)

more info -

The trails at Schulman Grove

#10 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 15 November 2023 - 02:20 AM

The discovery trail is right at the parking lot -- a 1 mile hike/walk. The trees begin immediately at the beginning of the walk. You will see about a hundred of them, at least.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users