12 replies to this topic

#1 Jzack605

Jzack605

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 05:53 PM

I got an ARB twin compressor to install on my tundra. Looking to possibly try and tackle this tomorrow. This is the kit I have:
https://www.summitra...rts/arb-ckmta12

I’m a complete noob to all of this. It seems simple enough, I’m ok with everything being under the hood including the switch if it makes things as simple and dummy proof as possible. Any advice? I think I could just get something that would work as a bracket for mounting at Home Depot? What else would I need other than a bracket? I have a 3/8” hose with a standard quick connect already that I would use at our local beaches compressor.

#2 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 17 November 2023 - 06:30 PM

Make sure you connect the red yellow wire to a fuse that only has power when the ignition is on. The compressor will not work unless this wire is connected.

My Chevy had a mounting plate meant for a second battery. That is where I mounted my compressor. I also mounted the switch under the hood for ease of wiring. You must open the hood anyway to connect the air hose unless you run a quick connect port somewhere outside the vehicle.

https://www.wanderth...0-on-board-air/

Edited by Cpt Davenport, 17 November 2023 - 07:24 PM.

#3 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 17 November 2023 - 10:50 PM

Congratulations! The ARB Twin is the best compressor on the market in my opinion. Given an engine-compartment mounting, I suggest opening the hood anyway when employing the compressor. The Twin is a fan-cooled unit, and while leaving the hood closed and engine on probably wouldn't damage it, it doesn't hurt to give it better circulation.

Edited by JHanson, 17 November 2023 - 10:51 PM.

#4 Jzack605

Jzack605

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 12:40 PM

I noticed in one video they set it up to take the cold air from an air intake. Is this worth trying to do?

#5 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,773 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 18 November 2023 - 05:10 PM

I noticed in one video they set it up to take the cold air from an air intake. Is this worth trying to do?

Sounds like too much work, maybe fine if you needed to run it while driving for other things.  Need to run the engine to get more amps from the alternator to run efficiently. Most pop the hood to dissipate heat from the engine bay and allows the heat to dissipate from the ARB unit fins to prevent heat soak.  Most small motors are happy when they run cooler.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 November 2023 - 07:55 PM

Sounds like too much work, maybe fine if you needed to run it while driving for other things.  Need to run the engine to get more amps from the alternator to run efficiently. Most pop the hood to dissipate heat from the engine bay and allows the heat to dissipate from the ARB unit fins to prevent heat soak.  Most small motors are happy when they run cooler.

apart from heat, this might be a good way to get cleaner air into the compressors.  

#7 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 02:29 PM

Try tundra.Com fourm for information

#8 Jzack605

Jzack605

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 November 2023 - 01:18 AM

You guys think a battery mount will be an economical option to mount the compressor?

#9 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 19 December 2023 - 01:22 AM

I had mounted my ARB twin compressor to the frame of my truck.  I also had an ARB air tank.  It only lasted about 2 years.  I think the heat and the abuse it took hanging down there in the dust and dirt.  I ended up pulling it out and starting over with a portable unit.  My take away is to mount somewhere cleaner than I did.  I had maybe 2 hours of use by the time it no longer worked.  If for some reason you want that tank- Im in san Diego.  

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#10 Jzack605

Jzack605

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 December 2023 - 01:44 AM

No thanks to a tank. I ended up mounting mine under the hood a week or so ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users