84 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 December 2023 - 08:03 PM

OK... My title for this seasonal (meteorological winter) topic is a little weak, but I blame it on the fact that where I am now is not wintery at all.

IMG_20231201_150220.jpg

IMG_20231201_153403.jpg  IMG_20231201_153240.jpg

It's got me disoriented.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 December 2023 - 08:13 PM

Fort Sagebrush has about 2” now, and it’s slicker than greased owl *** in Haines. I bet the freeway is shut down.

I am haunted by waters

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,345 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 December 2023 - 08:59 PM

Fort Sagebrush has about 2” now, and it’s slicker than greased owl *** in Haines. I bet the freeway is shut down.

I believe the rubberlegs squeaked through yesterday.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,345 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 December 2023 - 09:00 PM

Happy winter Mr. BC! Please remind us what 76 degrees feels like. :)

It rained last night. This morning, the first day of winter, was a bit below freezing and turned the wet areas into skating rinks. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee :) on our morning walk.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 December 2023 - 10:06 PM

Happy winter Mr. BC! Please remind us what 76 degrees feels like. :)

Well, Mr. 3pin...76°...its more of a state of mind, than a feeling. 😊

What's disorienting is that just a couple of mornings ago near Savannah, GA, I woke up to a chilly 33°. And yet, this afternoon when I got to my new campground I had to resist the impulse to turn on the air conditioner in the trailer!

Winter in the Deep South is like: 1) weather from the north (ultimately from Canada) it'll be cold and dry. 2) Weather from the south (from the Gulf of Mexico) it'll be warm and humid. And huge changes can happen overnight. 

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 02 December 2023 - 12:57 AM

First white bean soup of the winter, protected by none other than Albert Alligator.

IMG_1066.jpeg  

I am haunted by waters

#7 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 02 December 2023 - 02:33 AM

I believe the rubberlegs squeaked through yesterday.

Indeed, we heard about an upcoming storm in the Cascades, 12-36" worth, while south of Salt Lake City. That much snow usually closes the highways in Washington due to avalanche control. We hemmed and hawed which way to go. The storm looked like it would hit from the Siskiyous to the North Cascades of Washington. There's so many mountains to go over, and so many road options, all which take a lot longer. Which pass should we do? How fast can we get there? We called a friend for advice as it's hard to find options on a tiny phone, but finally decided we'd do an all-night drive home on the "directissimo" route.

Fortunately, the storm was delayed (perhaps due to Congress? ha!) and we were able to get a full night's sleep, and sneak over the Cascades with minor flurries and get home a few hours before snowmagedden went bonkers. I never checked today to see if there was such a big dumping. Wonder if it did?

Our last week or two in Utah was pretty cold. Lots of frost and ice in the camper, and our heat failed. I'm glad Wander the West has plenty of advice about sail switches, and we got it working again. Thank you, Wander the Westers!!

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#8 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 December 2023 - 02:41 AM

It rained last night.  . . . and turned the wet areas into skating rinks. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee :) on our morning walk.

I have studded boots to wear whenever ice is possible on my walks (me and da beagle walk on lakes a lot in the winter).  At my age (74) I cannot risk a fall.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#9 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 02 December 2023 - 05:27 PM

It strarted raining here last night and a warm rain continues today. 

IMG_20231202_121526.jpg

No need for studded boots. (The biggest challenge is keeping salt and sugar from clumping: dew point 63°F.) 

Not complaining -- it's good weather for reading... possibly outside, under the trailer awning.  :) 

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 02 December 2023 - 08:24 PM

First white bean soup of the winter, protected by none other than Albert Alligator.

attachicon.gifIMG_1066.jpeg 

That soup sure looks yummy.

Great time on these cold nights for a good soup.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users