21 replies to this topic

#11 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 30 December 2023 - 07:16 PM

One could impose similar fines on the driver and on the owner of the vehicle. Make sure that the owner isn’t prohibited from requiring a security deposit from the renter. Just to make sure the person profiting from enabling the off road vehicle activity shares the risk of bad behavior by the driver.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#12 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,773 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 31 December 2023 - 01:21 AM

Do that on Indian land and they own your vehicle and everything in it.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#13 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 31 December 2023 - 04:34 AM

Sigh!  It is disheartening and there's always another one.  

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#14 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 December 2023 - 01:56 PM

What Julie and I saw last week in the Park made us sick with tire tracks and a vehicle driving cross country. I'd say forget about monetary fees and make them serve the full six months in prison.

I totally agree! Not to stereotype but a Porsche (even though it was rented) and a BMW? They apparently have more dollars than sense. 

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#15 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 January 2024 - 04:34 PM

What Julie and I saw last week in the Park made us sick with tire tracks and a vehicle driving cross country. I'd say forget about monetary fees and make them serve the full six months in prison.

Knucklehead is an understatement, but thanks for being civil, Mr. Sage.

Yes, but I believe we need to be more concerned about the damage to the flora, fauna, and environment. If our stewardship means anything, we ought to be strongly speaking for all around us that does not have a voice.

I'm so tired of the (this does not refer to you, fish more) self centered idea that agencies put regulations in place "just to stop me from doing what I want," instead of the broader perspective of regulations in place to protect the resources and each of us doing our part to make that happen.

Here are just two examples. Saturday afternoon Dec 23rd, we drove out Lake Hill Road inside Death Valley National Park. Our landmark for finding the turn off highway 190 is the large brown sign stating in large letters it is illegal to drive off road. We found the persons associated with this vehicle illegally drove off of Lake Hill Road, cross country for approximately .25 mile, parked, pulled out two chairs, and enjoyed their wonderful National Park.

Winter-Trip-202312-copy-437.webp

Winter-Trip-202312-copy-439.webp

The vehicle was also inside designated Wilderness  (carsonite signs are in place designating the wilderness boundary).

Here is the Park's webpage - No Driving Off Designated Roads

All campfires in Death Valley National Park's backcountry have been illegal for decades -

"Campfires are prohibited. Fire can only be made in established campgrounds with provided metal fire rings. Gathering wood is unlawful and burning of wood is not allowed in the backcountry. Campstoves and propane grills are allowed in all areas."

The entrance to Lake Hill Road is signed that campfires are prohibited.

source - the Park's webpage - Backcountry camping

Yet every time we camp out Lake Hill Road we find a newly built fire ring (we know this because we've been breaking down fire rings and carrying out the trash and unburned wood from these sites for years).

Winter-Trip-202312-copy-162.webp

In no way do I believe these are tourons - clueless tourists. I've seen (and documented and reported) so much of this, that it is clear to me this is deliberate disregard of rules. I am way past the point of being weary of it all.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#16 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 11 January 2024 - 05:26 PM

Here are just two examples. Saturday afternoon Dec 23rd, we drove out Lake Hill Road inside Death Valley National Park. Our landmark for finding the turn off highway 190 is the large brown sign stating in large letters it is illegal to drive off road. We found the persons associated with this vehicle illegally drove off of Lake Hill Road, cross country for approximately .25 mile, parked, pulled out two chairs, and enjoyed their wonderful National Park.

Winter-Trip-202312-copy-437.webp

Winter-Trip-202312-copy-439.webp

The vehicle was also inside designated Wilderness  (carsonite signs are in place designating the wilderness boundary).

Here is the Park's webpage - No Driving Off Designated Roads

All campfires in Death Valley National Park's backcountry have been illegal for decades -

"Campfires are prohibited. Fire can only be made in established campgrounds with provided metal fire rings. Gathering wood is unlawful and burning of wood is not allowed in the backcountry. Campstoves and propane grills are allowed in all areas."

The entrance to Lake Hill Road is signed that campfires are prohibited.

source - the Park's webpage - Backcountry camping

Yet every time we camp out Lake Hill Road we find a newly built fire ring (we know this because we've been breaking down fire rings and carrying out the trash and unburned wood from these sites for years).

Winter-Trip-202312-copy-162.webp

In no way do I believe these are tourons - clueless tourists. I've seen (and documented and reported) so much of this, that it is clear to me this is deliberate disregard of rules. I am way past the point of being weary of it all.

in portland, the city/county finally enacted some laws on the lawbreakers that takeover city streets and do street racing, drifting, etc.  this type of behavior rarely happened in the past. it crept into the city during the mess, reduction in traffic patrols (due to many police retiring, and getting out).  Now as things are improving on many fronts - homeless camps are reducing as more options are created, more police back in the force, and traffic enforcement coming back - anyway, around new years our  police force arrested a bunch of street racers, and confiscated their cars. in some cases - they wont get them back.  the fines - and enforcement of laws is starting to have a positive effect on reducing lawbreakers.  in the case of the park, i would love to see a few SUV's confiscated, and donated to needy organizations.

Oregon

#17 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 January 2024 - 08:08 PM

I break down fire rings and disperse the ashes and charcoal as well. On our last trip to southern Utah some scofflaws had built a fire ring in the middle of the backcountry road. I removed it as well. Willful idiots thumbing their noses at perceived authority like common small children. How sad and meager it is to be such people. They are often the first to proclaim their grievances against any perceived curtailment of their freedumb!

Edited by AWG_Pics, 11 January 2024 - 08:08 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#18 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 12 January 2024 - 02:34 AM

I am chuckling to myself about the thought of a bunch of us 70+ year olds out doing some monkeywrenching! But, I am sure none of us would ever stoop to messing with some willful ignoramous' unattended vehicle would we? Nah. Perish the thought!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#19 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 January 2024 - 03:25 AM

indeed, Perish the thought!

There has to be another way.  

#20 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 January 2024 - 03:35 AM

Monetary fines are no deterrent to some people but none of us has an excess of time.

My solution is community service:  80 - 120 hours of cleaning up what you messed up (if possible) at your own expense or other menial tasks in the park.

As in this case (willful disregarding well posted prohibitions), confiscation of vehicle and possible jail time with community service to follow.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users