23 replies to this topic

#1 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 12 January 2024 - 06:13 AM

Hello All;

I have not been active on the forum, or camping in my truck/camper for that matter, for nearly 2 years now. I hope to change all that moving forward as I get my life back on track after putting some big life changes behind me.

I am hoping to get back to more camping and kayaking this spring/summer/fall. But I also plan to do some refreshing of my '03 F350 and '13 Hawk. One major upgrade I am seriously considering is to add an aluminum flatbed to carry my existing camper while adding some more convenient storage solutions.

I have seen some interesting designs on line from Bowen, AT Overland, PCOR, OEV, and Grizzly & Bear. My thoughts are to have a local company do a few custom changes to their standard aluminum flatbed to incorporate internal camper tie downs, side storage access (above deck), front and rear below deck side boxes and a centre rear pull out drawer. A rear bumper with fold down step would also be great. I am thinking that a local company would be more convenient and hopefully more cost effective than one of the big "Overland" companies. I have started discussuions with a local company, but could use your input:

DSCF3038.jpg

I am looking for input from the WTW community, especially those who have a flatbed/camper, or those also considering the idea. Design ideas, things you would do differently, etc. All info and suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Edited by OutbacKamper, 12 January 2024 - 06:17 AM.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 January 2024 - 02:02 PM

Two thoughts… have you considered bolting the camper down instead of using the existing tie downs.  It might make for more storage room, and a simpler build.

Take a look at the Northern Lite website.  Their back porch with swing down steps is pretty nice.  In addition to a handy entry, the porch makes a great surface for work and staging gear when loading/unloading.  It has also been known to be a fly tying bench.

Edit:  I just noticed you’re in Kelowna.  Give NL a visit.

IMG_1097.png

I am haunted by waters

#3 penner

penner

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 06:47 PM

You should check out highway products.com for some ideas. Some nice looking stuff there.

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 January 2024 - 07:13 PM

Penner, did you not find some others that were Canadian and less $$$?  Mortiz or something like that?

#5 penner

penner

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 07:19 PM

Yes I was Moritz Vic. I mentioned highway products to get some design ideas for boxes etc. How are you doing on your search? 

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 January 2024 - 07:40 PM

I've not been actively pursuing the flatbed at the moment.  New grandkids ...   :D  :P  :lol:  :rolleyes:

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 January 2024 - 08:40 PM

Highway Products does make good (great) quality stuff.   The box on my Oliver is from them.   The previous owner bought it from their scratch/dent selection, and it was about 500.00  :unsure:  in 2018.

You should check out highway products.com for some ideas. Some nice looking stuff there.

IMG_3677.jpeg

I am haunted by waters

#8 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 01:48 AM

Thanks everyone, I will check out Highway products, Moritz and Northern Lite.

Sagebrush; that is a nice rear cargo box. I did not mention it yet, but I have a rear cargo box & outside kitchen setup that I plan to retain:

IMG-0888.jpg

IMG-0891.jpg

IMG-0890.jpg

Edited by OutbacKamper, 13 January 2024 - 01:49 AM.

#9 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 02:09 AM

Here is a standard flatbed by the local company I am hoping to work with - it has optional side boxes and external camper tie downs:

Jbez-tray-and-camper-6.jpg

I was thinking of a system more like this, with fold down sides rather than actual storage boxes, useing the oem tie down system:

Sherp-Tek-flatbed-and-camper-1.jpg

I had not considered bolting the camper to the flatbed - what advantages or disadvantages would there be to bolting down the camper vs the oem tiedowns?

Edited by OutbacKamper, 13 January 2024 - 03:10 PM.

#10 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 02:13 AM

I just wanted to share this for anyone who is not familar with Grizzly & Bear. This appears to be the untimate flatbed set up but looks very expensive (custom made in South Africa).

Grizzly-and-Bear-2.jpg

Grizzly-and-Bear-1.jpg I love the front garage...& the custom flat aluminum camper siding colour matched to the truck. This is what inspired me to refresh my truck and camper, although mine will definitely not look this awesome.

Edited by OutbacKamper, 13 January 2024 - 02:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users