23 replies to this topic

#11 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 13 January 2024 - 10:14 PM

I was thinking of a system more like this, with fold down sides rather than actual storage boxes, useing the oem tie down system:

Sherp-Tek-flatbed-and-camper-1.jpg

I had not considered bolting the camper to the flatbed - what advantages or disadvantages would there be to bolting down the camper vs the oem tiedowns?

Who makes this one?

#12 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 13 January 2024 - 11:42 PM

Who makes this one?

That is a photo from the SherpTek website.

Here is the same view with side panel installed:

Sherp-Tek-flatbed-and-camper-2.jpg

#13 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 14 January 2024 - 12:54 AM

Oh, well yes.... Sherptek makes great gear... $$$ though.  I very much like their designs and execution is first rate.

#14 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 14 January 2024 - 09:51 PM

This is what I did with my 2021 F350 and my Grandby camper

i-sz2RBRG-M.jpg

i-3ZDbFTG-M.jpg

i-H9PqN6K-M.jpg

i-L7rkm5n-M.jpg

i-CL9Xghx-M.jpg

The Drivers side I put 4 Reliance water jugs, water filtration and misc

I pull one Propane tank from the camper and connect it to my stove with a hose, pulling the stove out on the drop down door.

the camper is held down with the 3/8 Eye-bolts in the bed and turnbuckles.

This setup worked very well for me as I traveled 5 months to Alaska and back. YMMV

I don't know if I would get another flatbed with a full tailboard, it took some damage from me backing into a low obstacle.

I love having the flatbed compared to the pickup bed.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#15 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 January 2024 - 02:37 AM

Thanks Machinebuilder;

I had not thought of building upper boxes of wood. That could potentially save a lot of money, as that is something I could do myself. hmmmm...

Have you had issues with water ingress, or were you able to waterproof  the wood boxes?

#16 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 15 January 2024 - 06:36 PM

I use lap joints so there isn't many direct paths for water.

They arent full boxes just a bottom and a side

the camper is the top and back,

I used gorilla tape to seal some of the seams and some thick weather stripping in other places

The only time I got water in is when i stopped to wash some of the mud off.

I would like to have a Sherptek or Bowen but they are $$$$$$$ and a long way from East TN

All the wood is red oak cut and milled from my property. I got lots of compliments on this setup.

Edited by Machinebuilder, 15 January 2024 - 06:37 PM.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#17 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 15 January 2024 - 07:39 PM

nice setup. most all of our cooking is outside, and this would work for us.  awning there for protection.

Oregon

#18 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 15 January 2024 - 09:07 PM

Best wishes on your search for a custom, ALUMINUM flatbed. Sourcing this was by far the biggest headache in my 2018 build with a Ram Chassis Cab 3500 SRW and a new FWC Grandby. (Flatbed model.) We found many companies happy to work in steel- few in aluminum. One hint- look for companies that do custom work for the "oil patch".

Probably too far for you but I (finally) found a custom fabricator 50 miles from me that did up a completely custom, impeccably built, aluminum FB and for less than 1/2 what the mainline companies quoted me. Plus they installed it for free! NOTE: Photo below is of the first flatbed this company did for me on a standard Ram frame.

Another hint- if you're not married to your 2003 Ford a cab and chassis of any brand will be infinitely easier to design and mount a FB on. The straight rails also allow a full length "shovel box" and in my case we put a "possum belly" (28" wide x 22" long x 18" deep) dropping down between the rails right behind the cab. We keep two 7 gallon water jugs there plus much of our heavy recovery gear which leads me to...

My final hint: FB mounted campers inherently have a higher center of gravity. So it is even more important to keep heavy stuff lower and if possible ahead of the rear axle. (Which is true with all campers.) Along with the "possum belly" above we also have 4 under-bed boxes where we keep tools, fuel, chainsaw, etc. s!AkfLh_kxE9dZhOpHVuE6Uah2SOM_gw?e=9zzhl

20151011_131224.jpg

Edited by Durango1, 15 January 2024 - 09:09 PM.

#19 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 06:00 AM

Thanks for the input Durango1!

I'm definitley keeping the current truck, so no cab and chasis for me. My 2003 F350 has been a great truck, it has the 7.3 diesel and less than 145,000km (90,000 miles). I hope it (and I) will last another 15 years or so.

I have found a local aluminum flatbed company, Im just trying to figure out exactly what features are important and prioritize them when it comes to cost. I have a meeting with the fabricator on Saturday.

You make a good point about the higher centre of gravity. This is, in my opinion, the biggest drawback to a flatbed, but I hope the increased storage is a worthwhile trade-off. This picture shows the centre drawer which is a "must have" for me.

JBez-flatbed-standard.png

Edited by OutbacKamper, 18 January 2024 - 06:01 AM.

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 06:31 PM

I would not make the drawer a must have.  For me the must have is the SAME or lower COG.  That means some kind of service bed rather than a true flat deck, because the center section needs to be the same height as the stock deck, and the sides have to clear the wheels...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users