6 replies to this topic

#1 Cowgirl in Mt

Cowgirl in Mt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 21 January 2024 - 01:12 AM

Hi, I wondered if anyone else has had this problem. I have an 2000 10’ CO. My son and I rebuilt the top portion and installed new battery and solar panel. I’ve raised and lowered the top 50 or so times since we finished the electrical work with no problem. The last two different times when raising the camper the fuse blew on the hydraulic pump. The last time it was quite cold 35*. Any tips on what to check? Does the fluid get too cold, which seems weird if they are used in Alaska.

#2 Kansafornia

Kansafornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 03:11 PM

Cowgirl, I don't have an electric lift sys on my Alaskan so I'm only theorizing here, nevertheless... I think I'd troubleshoot as follows:

1. Verify electrical lift mfr stated draw against installed fuse,

2. Verify wire sizing per mfr,

3. If #s1&2 are correct per mfr, test actual 'peak' draw during lift, 

4. If #3 peak is above rating, check fluid viscosity and for anything encumbering the lift,

5. Swap in a new fuse; sometimes they're not binary when end of life. 

If everything is correct per mfr and you're still having issues, a visit to the lift mfr's online customer care desk may be in order.

Best of luck tracking down the issue!!

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,597 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 January 2024 - 04:35 PM

If you can safely run your furnace with the top down, you might try heating it up, then trying again.   With the temps you’ve had, I’d let it warm for a while.  The temp range for mil spec 5606 hydraulic fluid is -54° to 135°, which I suspect is close to where your low temps have been.  I also suspect other hydraulic fluids are similar in a range.  

Another possibility is water contamination in your system, with the water freezing things up, but this would be a stretch. 

I am haunted by waters

#4 Dr.Science

Dr.Science

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 08:15 PM

I also have the electric pump lift and I've noticed it works much harder in cold temperatures, probably because the hydraulic fluid is more viscous. So it's probably drawing substantially more current. You could check that with an ammeter, or, try warming the camper interior with a space heater for a few hours, then try it again, see if the problem persists.

#5 Cowgirl in Mt

Cowgirl in Mt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 23 January 2024 - 02:45 AM

Thank you, for your answer! Yes today I plugged in a space heater warmed it up and with new fuse it raised no problem. Just wondering what they do in Alaska while boondocking?

#6 Kansafornia

Kansafornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 January 2024 - 04:59 AM

Thank you, for your answer! Yes today I plugged in a space heater warmed it up and with new fuse it raised no problem. Just wondering what they do in Alaska while boondocking?

I don't know about Alaskans boondocking, but... I understand that our Canadian brethren just swap out the hydraulic fluid for hot maple syrup on chilly evenings. Or, at least, that's the story I'm heading into town with. ;-D

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 January 2024 - 05:32 AM

I don't know about Alaskans boondocking, but... I understand that our Canadian brethren just swap out the hydraulic fluid for hot maple syrup on chilly evenings. Or, at least, that's the story I'm heading into town with. ;-D

Hmm. I can neither confirm nor deny this. ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users