14 replies to this topic

#11 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

Really just beautiful and wow the fall colors. But Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#12 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:00 PM

Really just beautiful and wow the fall colors. But Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Hey jimjxsn,

I have lived in Crested Butte for 32 years now and have been fortunate to see the changing of the trees year after year. Although the colors were a little muted this year, it is still a great time to be in the mountains! The temps the week before last were a little discouraging (9 degrees for several mornings that week). This morning is beautiful, and the temps should be in the fifties. I am still not ready for the winter yet, so I will be heading south (if the temps are warm enough) to float and do some fly fishing flyfish on the San Juan River on Wednesday morning. I have to squeeze in as much fly fishing as possible before winter really gets here! Posted Image

If anyone passes through Crested Butte, be sure to look me up.

Paul
2008 F-150 5.4L QC 4x4, ride rite air bags, 2009 Hallmark Milner LX

#13 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:45 AM

The colors were affected in different area by the late freeze many areas had in June. At my place in Leadville the leaves were almost out when it hit...turning everyone of them brown and making them fall off. As aspens will do...they releafed....however, the second set of leaves were very small and they turned brown this Fall almost overnight and fell off the trees without changing to their normal gold.

Here in the Vail Valley the trees were unaffected by that cold snap and we had some of the most intense color I can remember in years.

thanks again for the pics

mtn
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#14 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

Nice trip and pics, I think I was in Wyoming when that snow fell in my area ( Aspen ). And for the sake of accuracy, it is "Paonia Reservoir and the Raggeds"...:-)

What happened to a lot of the Aspen tree leaves in our area had to do with the wet Spring we had, our leaves were really dull in places and had been attacked by mites and fungus, dropped early in places:

http://www.ext.colos...rden/02920.html

South in the San Juans was perfect, really stellar foliage.

It's snowing here right now, big heavy wet flakes...Bring on the Arctic Pack!

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

#15 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:18 AM

Wowza Jim what a great trip! You hit a lot of my favorite spots. Marble is really neat.

As DD said some of our favorite places too. We just keep going back. Jez you had some poopie weather. But still would rather just be there than at work...

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users