• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 February 2024 - 02:42 PM

I'm a tree hugger ... I mean I love trees. I also am a woodworker and believe one can be both. I am not sure where I got this "fact" ... I have checked it with my forester and he agrees with the science. In my area (Northeast hardwood zone) the native Americans have advised that one can harvest one cord (128 Cu ft) of wood per acre forever. Sustainable harvesting without altering the health of the stand. That does mean not "taking the best and leaving the rest" logging; but selective cutting allowing for the different cycles in the forest when old trees die they open the space where their crown once was, bringing light to the forest floor. The younger saplings then use far less energy on fighting for light and more on developing their crown" Transitional zones. Standing dead also offer great habitat for birds. Wildlife in the NE woods require these three zones: Mature, Sapling and seedling. The animals that use these three zones all together make a healthy system. 

For those who like to be in a forested area and like to listen to what is happening, my friends who hunt certainly are among these filks, experience a very special time. In Japan they call it what translates into "Forest bathing". Just sitting and listening.  Here is a website that lets you listen to the sounds recorded in different forests around the world.  Be sure to wear headphones to really enjoy it.

https://www.tree.fm

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 February 2024 - 08:33 PM

Thanks Rob.Growing up in eastern Pa we had lots of wooded areas to enjoy.

My first words as I exited the plane in Sept 1961 in LA was what did they do with all the trees?

I came west with joining the navy to ships stationed in the bay area and have come to

love the Sierras and out coastal forests.

Trees are great.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 February 2024 - 01:44 PM

"Trees are the answer" 

Henry David Thoreau

#4 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 05 February 2024 - 03:28 PM

As a lifelong resident of central NC, where any patch of soil at least 3' X 3' will be a tree if left along for long enough (generally not less than a couple or three years), I can confirm the "one cord per year forever" rule of thumb.  On our exact patch of ground, which has been in the family since the 1930s, our forester told my father in the 1970s that he could take out one mature oak or hickory per year off of our 1.25 acre lot "and never miss it".  I feel sure that a mature white oak, red oak, or hickory will produce well over 1 cord of firewood.  

#5 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 February 2024 - 03:37 PM

Over the last 25 years I have harvested 7 cords a year off our 46 acre home lot to heat my home and wood shop. Mostly taking ash which has suffered from emerald ash borer. Sad to see but it is a great heat wood.

Henry David Thoreau

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 February 2024 - 03:54 PM

For me, trees have become a love/hate relationship.  I truly do love trees, but I want a wide defensive space around my house that has no close trees.  In 2007, one of my 100’ tall hemlock trees at our beach house neatly sliced my father’s house in half.  At our then primary residence, a one acre lot, we were ringed on three sides by mature Doug fir on the south, and fast growing pine on the west and north.  A total of around 10 fir and 40+ pine.  As the pine matured, the annual load of dropped needles reached 4 to 6 inches in depth.  They gave us beauty, privacy and shade, but also the hazards of falling fire, and pines that were extremely fire prone.  

The catastrophic fires of Northern California and Southern Oregon had a significant impact on me.  I have friends and family members who have lost their homes and possessions in these recent fires.  One of our WTW members lost his home, heirloom tools, and pretty much everything but one truck and a camper. 

So… I will always love trees for their beauty and their benefits, but never again do I want to be surrounded by trees in close proximity to my home.

I am haunted by waters

#7 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 05 February 2024 - 05:02 PM

Many years ago and old wildlife biologist (seems like it's always someone old <_<) told me you can always tell if an area is healthy or not by just stopping and listening! If you hear the happy chirp of birds and chatter of squirls in the trees you probably have a healthy area.  It works out in the desert too, just try it next time you pull into a campground or you are out in the middle of nowhere, just stop and listen; after a while you will hear more than just the wind.  Now that I am retired and have the time, and can follow my nose and use my ears, I can spend the whole day just listening-no human sounds-great, this must be the place!  I should add as a further reality check in the West of today, just count the number of yellow bug killed trees in the area before you set up camp.

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#8 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 05 February 2024 - 08:04 PM

I love trees too, just not on my rig!!

Attached Thumbnails

• tree damage - 1.jpeg

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 05 February 2024 - 10:04 PM

I love trees too, just not on my rig!!

Ouch.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#10 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 February 2024 - 10:12 PM

Definitely not where a tree belongs. Condolences

If one has not experienced being in deep woods at twilight or pre dawn, maybe with a light rain, and heard a wood thrush sing, one has not lived. The wood thrush’s song fills the woods with incredibly intricate sounds, haunting.

Edited by buckland, 05 February 2024 - 11:12 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users