• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 February 2024 - 11:44 PM

Forgot to mention... ya I too have had trees come through the roof in the barn and I spend a good amount of time chainsawing to get out from ice-storms and hurricanes. I could publish a coffee table tree disaster book after we lost 100's of trees from a horrific ice storm. I have three humongous 80 tall dead Ash within striking distance from the house I have to deal with this year.

But.

Besides how they can be an "inconvenience' ... they are incredible. They are working on building sky scrapers and Japan wooden satellites! But without trees there would not be so many species of birds and animals. 

Here is the human logic I have trouble with... I see an article about a species doing what it does to live and all is fine if it doesn't bother humans (actually I can't think of one of those) .... Like "shark infested waters"  sharks live in water so how can they be infested? I surely can say about a lot of places I've been where the truth was "human infested".... 

BUT I've gone off on a rant.  I just love being deep in a forest listening to the sounds coming in and hope to heaven we appreciate it enough to not infest it, but visit it, protect it from ourselves. "I have seen the enemy and it is us".

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,341 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 06 February 2024 - 12:05 AM

.................. and hope to heaven we appreciate it enough to not infest it, but visit it, protect it from ourselves. .

Well said, Rob. Thank you. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 06 February 2024 - 04:38 PM

As we wash the daily coatings of tree sap off and/or oak tags off of our vehicles, or move the tons of leaves off of our minimal lawn area annually, we always say "our trees giveth and they taketh away".  For now, everything we have survived Hurricane Hazel in 1954 and Hurricane Fran in 1996, and a goodly number of tropical storms and straight line winds derechos since 1996, so due to the shade the closest to the house provide (no direct sun on the roof but for around 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm daily in mid-summer), the benefit is worth the risk.

Now, the large white oak which fell on my shed located on the family owned vacant lot behind my house on a windless night in early December was hollow, a condition which may or may not presently affect those close to the house, but I'm ok with just rolling the dice.  These things tend to topple fairly gently when pushed over by wind as opposed to collapse when hollow or struck by lightning, etc.  

I wish I had the gumption and wherewithal to construct a haystack sized compost heap with black plastic water line coiled through it in order to provide months of hot water for home heating and domestic hot water needs a la The Mother Earth News from back in the early to mid 1980s.  We sure have the leaves for it!  Would just need a couple of tons of manure to get it going.

#14 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 07 February 2024 - 04:54 AM

I remember that Mother Earth News article! Have you seen „Need to Grow“? Much more than just heating water!

https://grow.foodrev...impact-special/
This is just one place that mentions the movie.

#15 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 17 February 2024 - 08:44 PM

Here is the human logic I have trouble with... I see an article about a species doing what it does to live and all is fine if it doesn't bother humans (actually I can't think of one of those) .... Like "shark infested waters"  sharks live in water so how can they be infested? I surely can say about a lot of places I've been where the truth was "human infested".... 

Yup. I have been flabbergasted more than once when trying to explain the process of ecological succession to someone who is actually being paid for their botanical expertise. The boundaries for where a particular tree will grow is the same as the boundary of suitable conditions so how, exactly, can a tree be "encroaching" and what are they "encroaching" on? Yet this is one of the reasons I have been given repeatedly to attempt to justify the decimation of square mile after square mile after square mile of pinyon/juniper forest. 

Edited by teledork, 17 February 2024 - 09:36 PM.

#16 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 February 2024 - 09:07 PM

Yup +1. Humans like stasis. In their lifetime things the way they consider 'normal' .... thing is life does not work nor even earth, like that. As my dad used to say " the only change you can expect not to happen is from a vending machine". Boundaries are fluid for plants and animals. Here is the northern woodlands I have been seeing species of birds and animals I have never seen here before. Our climate is warming. Ticks, Opossum, Cardinals and plants too. Our landscape here was once completely forested, then 200 years ago they cut down 90% for agriculture. Now it is 80% forest again.  It is sad to see what one had loved about an area change rapidly but it would seem change is happening of late in exponential terms rather than a nice gradual slope.  Folks on coastal areas are in for a real rude awakening in the next 25 years. Grandchildren of this current generation will be looking at a very different world.

Henry David Thoreau

#17 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 March 2024 - 12:57 PM

Good Advice

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5562.jpg

Henry David Thoreau

#18 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 15 March 2024 - 08:05 PM

Good Advice

That's sound advice.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#19 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 17 March 2024 - 02:12 PM

I love trees too, just not on my rig!!

Was this from Snowmaggedon last year?

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users