11 replies to this topic

#1 jeffyg

jeffyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:51 PM

looking to make one in the next week or so, i googled it and quite a bit of info came up. looking at it for a rather light bike, a cr250 to take down to the baja with me.

i understand this will be a bit of a pain in the butt with teh camper on for getting in and out and ill have to take the bike off to get in (but hey it looks like it will double as a good step!) i am running a longbox F350 diesel so weight shouldnt be an issue.

any thoughts? i should be able to whip one up pretty quick i see some where you can tiedown both the front and back to a center mounted bar and some that have a bar at both front and back... im thinking thats what i will make....

just thinking out loud

jef

#2 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:34 AM

I have one that was supposedly good for 400 lbs but some of the aluminum was too thin and distorted, that was a bar that lowered over the seat to hold the bike. Now I am using the channel and attached a small outrigger at the front (of the bike) for a tie down in addition to tieing down the other side of the bike to the truck bumper support. I just put a quick tie down holding the rear wheel down. I'll give it the 1st good test next week taking my KX250 to Utah. I think I can still sneak in the door. I can mount it and take a pic.

looking to make one in the next week or so, i googled it and quite a bit of info came up. looking at it for a rather light bike, a cr250 to take down to the baja with me.

i understand this will be a bit of a pain in the butt with teh camper on for getting in and out and ill have to take the bike off to get in (but hey it looks like it will double as a good step!) i am running a longbox F350 diesel so weight shouldnt be an issue.

any thoughts? i should be able to whip one up pretty quick i see some where you can tiedown both the front and back to a center mounted bar and some that have a bar at both front and back... im thinking thats what i will make....

just thinking out loud

jef

Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#3 jeffyg

jeffyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:11 PM

sounds great looking forward to a picture... the ones i am looking at here are 18" away from the hitch, i run with the tailgate on my truck so i might be able to drop it still to get in and out... heck i am going to build it so i guess i can make anything i want! yeah!

#4 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:23 PM

here is a sample picture I took of a customer's camper

maybe it will help with ideas on how you build it

happy camping !

Attached Thumbnails

• motocycle # 2.JPG
  • motorcycle.JPG

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#5 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:26 PM

This is pretty hard to beat for 100 bucks.

http://www.harborfre...temnumber=92655

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#6 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:59 PM

This is pretty hard to beat for 100 bucks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92655

They often sell those for $70 or $80, I think I got mine with a coupon for $60. I took the front rail off for easier loading. The Segway is about 120#. I've put a cooler, generator, and misc on it when I had it on the back.
Posted Image

#7 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:02 AM

Here are a few pics of my KX250 on the carrier. The rail is 10.5" from the back bumper. I can get in the camper with it on, the dogs are better off going in from the cab.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
It was rated to 400#s, this bike is just over 2 so I should be fine. Of course when I put the Segway on the front and the KX on the back I'm about as long as a semi :o

#8 jeffyg

jeffyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:10 PM

barko,

you got that rear bike carrier at harborfreight? for that kind of money cant really go wrong!

thanks for the pix

jeff

ps nice bike

#9 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

barko,

you got that rear bike carrier at harborfreight? for that kind of money cant really go wrong!

thanks for the pix
jeff

ps nice bike

The front carrier was Harbor Freight, the rear from somewhere else but HF sells one for $129 http://www.harborfre...temnumber=99721

And the bike is a hoot!

#10 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:53 PM

Here is another way to carry. I have to put another bike in the trailer this week so the light dirt bike goes up front for one day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users