26 replies to this topic

#1 cs0430

cs0430

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 16 February 2024 - 04:56 PM

We are picking up our Hawk base model in 2 months and putting it on a new F250 Tremor. Super excited about the camping upgrade.  I have a few questions about things I should address day 1 or prior to pickup. I've posed these same questions to my salesperson, but appreciate this community's feedback.

For context, our FWC is a base model, open floorplan, 135A lithium, Truma heater, king bed, quilted thermal, roof tracks, and will have the new bamboo countertop and coin flooring.  I will be building a lower bed for our 3-year old son out of 80/20 and mount our Dometic fridge in the camper either under his bed or on one of the shelves.  Also plan on adding either a torklift glow step or an easy hitch step to get in.

1. Mounting on an F250 - The other thread has me a little concerned about mounting using regular eyebolts on our aluminum bed F250.  Has anyone come up with a tie-down structure/bracket that uses factory tie-down locations?  If not, I'll at least be adding some aluminum plate on the underside of the bed to distribute the pulling forces over a larger area.
  2. Solar - have a 200w panel to go on top.  Does FWC still use the SAE plug on the roof? Just need to know if I need to buy a MC4 to SAE connector.
  3. Are there any wiring "chases" in FWC's on the exterior walls? I want to add some perimeter lighting using Baja Designs S2's, mounted directly to the exterior and with a switch inside the camper to turn them on.
  4. "Must have" upgrades.  Anything you all have added that FWC does not provide and you swear by?

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 February 2024 - 11:02 PM

Mine is so old now I hesitate to answer as much has likely changed. No wiring chases, but mine did have a wire for outside lighting already run. Lots of fun trying to find it :) You didn't mention but I hope you have at least one powered fan. Mostly you need to go camping and see what "you" need to add. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 penner

penner

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 01:15 AM

I would highly recommend the torklift glow steps . 

#4 Dirtroadsavant

Dirtroadsavant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Ohio

Posted 19 February 2024 - 01:29 PM

Cheap. Easy. Essential. Screen door grab bar. Camco has a fine one but there are many.
Flatbed Hawk on a Norweld Tray on an F350 Supercab Gas. All 2017.

#5 Jsoboti

Jsoboti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 20 February 2024 - 04:36 PM

If its pre-wired for solar it will have an SAE plug on the roof and on the back of the camper for a portable panel. Make sure you check the polarity of the plugs with a multimeter before plugging in any solar panels though.

Some of the SAE plugs they use (I think the Zamp brand) have reverse polarity. There are many threads on this forum about it and I'm glad I read them before installing my solar panel. 

Many of us swear by some form of under-mattress ventilation. I use Hypervent but there are some others. It allows air flow under the mattress which makes sure you don't have a soggy and moldy mattress. With that, the stock mattresses are not for everyone, I found it extremely uncomfortable and had a custom 5inch foam mattress made by a local shop, probably the best upgrade I've done. 

https://www.mattress...prevention.html

2014 F-350 | 2019 FWC Hawk | King Suspension 

#6 cs0430

cs0430

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 21 February 2024 - 12:24 AM

I would highly recommend the torklift glow steps . 

Do you have the "stow and go" version that can be stored on the camper when not in use? 

I am torn between the glow steps and the easy hitch step. I like the easy hitch step for not having to drill into the camper for a mounting bracket like the glow steps and not having to store inside of the camper when not in use.  Dislike it for being made of steel (rust). The "Stow and go" glow steps look nice, but I'm concerned about how close they would be to painted parts and the risk of rubbing/dinging the truck when off-road. 

#7 CreekRob

CreekRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 12:43 AM

We are picking up our Hawk base model in 2 months and putting it on a new F250 Tremor. Super excited about the camping upgrade.  I have a few questions about things I should address day 1 or prior to pickup. I've posed these same questions to my salesperson, but appreciate this community's feedback.

For context, our FWC is a base model, open floorplan, 135A lithium, Truma heater, king bed, quilted thermal, roof tracks, and will have the new bamboo countertop and coin flooring.  I will be building a lower bed for our 3-year old son out of 80/20 and mount our Dometic fridge in the camper either under his bed or on one of the shelves.  Also plan on adding either a torklift glow step or an easy hitch step to get in.

1. Mounting on an F250 - The other thread has me a little concerned about mounting using regular eyebolts on our aluminum bed F250.  Has anyone come up with a tie-down structure/bracket that uses factory tie-down locations?  If not, I'll at least be adding some aluminum plate on the underside of the bed to distribute the pulling forces over a larger area.
  2. Solar - have a 200w panel to go on top.  Does FWC still use the SAE plug on the roof? Just need to know if I need to buy a MC4 to SAE connector.
  3. Are there any wiring "chases" in FWC's on the exterior walls? I want to add some perimeter lighting using Baja Designs S2's, mounted directly to the exterior and with a switch inside the camper to turn them on.
  4. "Must have" upgrades.  Anything you all have added that FWC does not provide and you swear by?

I'd go with whatever mounting solution FWC has at the time of installation. I upgraded my turnbuckles to some marine hardware with eyes instead of hooks, but you can do that after you see how it fares.

With more solar and a rack I'd consider the stronger 40lb lift struts, unless you're going with one of the new lift options.

They should be able to point out where the current wiring goes. Nothing exterior AFAIK. Not on my 2023. But I'm not a fan of wired lighting, outdoor or otherwise. This is yet another reason why I use wireless. They do always have that rear porch light with interior switch; maybe you could tap that circuit depending on amperage.

And you'll need something to get into the back. Step stool or ladder, hitch mounted step, etc etc. And something for the sink to drain into.

#8 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 21 February 2024 - 01:58 AM

Your comment on turnbuckles reminds me: get jam nuts for the turnbuckles. For some reason ours didn't come with them, and they worked loose frequently.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#9 n7wrh

n7wrh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 02:45 PM

Watching this topic (thanks for posting) as our Hawk was recently ordered.

#10 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 21 February 2024 - 03:29 PM

. . . I am torn between the glow steps and the easy hitch step. 

If possible, try both types of steps.  I have the hitch steps.  With a hitch tightener they are solid (won't move unless the truck does).  Without they are a little wobbly.  My beagle can go up and down without a problem.  I thought the accordion steps were too steep and narrow for da beagle (and me) going down.

You do have to be aware when backing up or going over an obstacle like a log or rock that they are back there.  I take them off and store in the camper when off-road.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users