26 replies to this topic

#11 cs0430

cs0430

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 21 February 2024 - 04:04 PM

I'd go with whatever mounting solution FWC has at the time of installation. I upgraded my turnbuckles to some marine hardware with eyes instead of hooks, but you can do that after you see how it fares.

With more solar and a rack I'd consider the stronger 40lb lift struts, unless you're going with one of the new lift options.

They should be able to point out where the current wiring goes. Nothing exterior AFAIK. Not on my 2023. But I'm not a fan of wired lighting, outdoor or otherwise. This is yet another reason why I use wireless. They do always have that rear porch light with interior switch; maybe you could tap that circuit depending on amperage.

And you'll need something to get into the back. Step stool or ladder, hitch mounted step, etc etc. And something for the sink to drain into.

Does the porch light have an interior switch? From the demo videos I've watched you have to switch it on the fixture itself.  I always thought this was a little silly, having to already be outside to turn on an outside light.  What wireless option do you use?  I'd like to have some perimeter lighting for setting up camp, cooking, and for when things go bump in the night.  

#12 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 February 2024 - 04:49 PM

I believe ATC & FWC have both internal and external porch light switches, wired in series is my guess.

I am haunted by waters

#13 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 21 February 2024 - 05:26 PM

My 2014 Hawk has exterior side lights on inside switch, exterior down lights on interior switch, exterior rear floods on interior switch and exterior side mounted & exterior rear mounted porch lights with switches on the fixture only.

No light has multiple switch.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#14 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,772 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 21 February 2024 - 05:50 PM

My 2014 Hawk has exterior side lights on inside switch, exterior down lights on interior switch, exterior rear floods on interior switch and exterior side mounted & exterior rear mounted porch lights with switches on the fixture only.

Paul

Same as for my 2015 flatbed hawk.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#15 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 21 February 2024 - 06:17 PM

RE Mounting. Get confirmation in writing from them that your self installed mounting system will allow them to install camper. Ask for their recommendations too. At the eyebolt I’d go with big reinforcing plate under aluminum bed and smaller plate or washer above. Need flanged eyebolt for that.

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#16 cs0430

cs0430

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 21 February 2024 - 06:18 PM

That exterior lighting package is nice, but not available on the base model.  They do offer the rear lighting package, I was just planning on adding side lights too, so I didn't opt for it.

#17 cs0430

cs0430

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 21 February 2024 - 06:20 PM

RE Mounting. Get confirmation in writing from them that your self installed mounting system will allow them to install camper. Ask for their recommendations too. At the eyebolt I’d go with big reinforcing plate under aluminum bed and smaller plate or washer above. Need flanged eyebolt for that.

Definitely adding a plate underneath since my SD will have an aluminum bed, hadn't thought about on top as well.   

#18 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 February 2024 - 06:48 PM

Paul

Paul, thanks for setting the record straight.   I’ll have to check my Cougar to see if I’m 100% wrong.

I am haunted by waters

#19 penner

penner

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 05:44 PM

Do you have the "stow and go" version that can be stored on the camper when not in use? 

I am torn between the glow steps and the easy hitch step. I like the easy hitch step for not having to drill into the camper for a mounting bracket like the glow steps and not having to store inside of the camper when not in use.  Dislike it for being made of steel (rust). The "Stow and go" glow steps look nice, but I'm concerned about how close they would be to painted parts and the risk of rubbing/dinging the truck when off-road. 

No, I don't have the stow and go version. I mounted the bracket that the steps fasten to on the back of the truck box. Only problem with that is the bracket has to come off before I put the tailgate back on, but not really a big deal. I usually just store them behind the drivers seat. I also carry the plastic 2 step they gave me with the camper for reaching the latches and use it for getting into the camper at 'pit stops'. When at camp with the steps installed we use the 2 step to set our 5gallon water jug on.

#20 CreekRob

CreekRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 02:24 AM

Does the porch light have an interior switch? From the demo videos I've watched you have to switch it on the fixture itself.  I always thought this was a little silly, having to already be outside to turn on an outside light.  What wireless option do you use?  I'd like to have some perimeter lighting for setting up camp, cooking, and for when things go bump in the night.  

I seem to think inside was an option maybe...i only wanted the switch outside though, since I only use it when I'm outside. So the one on the light housing itself works for me.

For wireless I use puck lights. I can point the IR remote out the window to turn them on if I had reason to. I use them on the steps sometimes. But I have no reason to use perimeter lights so can't comment on that.

Edited by CreekRob, 23 February 2024 - 02:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users