7 replies to this topic

#1 FoxenTec

FoxenTec

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 February 2024 - 10:54 PM

Hello,  

I am replacing our chest style compressor fridge with a Isotherm front loading 65 Elegance Fridge.  The shore power connection (120V) is a two blade male terminal labeled L and N which the manual doesn't state but assuming is Load and Neutral.  However, the power cord they provided is two female blade connectors with a non-polarized plug on the other end.  

It would appear that since they included a non-polarized plug, it doesn't matter which female connector is used to connect to the fridge.  In other words, it doesn't matter which wire goes to the L or the N.

Am I missing anything?

Picture attached from manual

Attached File  Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 2.50.25 PM (3).png   346.41K   8 downloads

Thank you!

Jon

FoxenTec

#2 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 01 March 2024 - 03:05 AM

“L” probably stands for “line.” I assume any case safety ground is connected to the 12 VDC negative, but it may not have a safety ground due to the isolation measures for the electrical parts. If you want to be conservative, I would not assume L and N are interchangeable just because they supplied a non-polarized cord, even though they may be. You could buy a $5 polarized cord and not wonder about it.

I can look at the cord on my Isotherm fridge later tonight and post whether it is polarized.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#3 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 01 March 2024 - 07:03 AM

My Isotherm 130 liter AC plug is not polarized.

Thinking further, the AC power supply on these things is probably like a large internal “wall wart” transformer and rectifier supplying a 12 vdc fridge. Wall warts often have non/polarized plugs and the transformer and diodes don’t care which is hot or neutral.

Edited by Jon R, 01 March 2024 - 08:34 PM.

Jon R

#4 FoxenTec

FoxenTec

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 March 2024 - 12:25 AM

My Isotherm 130 liter AC plug is not polarized.

Thinking further, the AC power supply on these things is probably like a large internal “wall wart” transformer and rectifier supplying a 12 vdc fridge. Wall warts often have non/polarized plugs and the transformer and diodes don’t care which is hot or neutral.

Thank you Jon for your posts, they are both helpful.  Like you said, I think I will determine which is truly Line and which is Neutral.  I did find where a cord has ridges on one side and is smooth on the other side.  Some "helpful" videos indicate the ridge side is the neutral side and smooth is the hot side.  With a new polarized plug though, it can be reversed each time it is plugged and unplugged depending on the orientation of how you plug it in.  I think I will mark the plug should it ever be unplugged in the vehicle.  Thanks again!

Jon

FoxenTec

#5 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,774 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 02 March 2024 - 05:32 AM

Hey Jon R, I have been seeing the term "wall wart" in text. Care to share some history and a brief description of what they are? It seems to have suddenly popped up and I have fallen behind in the new jargon. Thanks!

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#6 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 02 March 2024 - 06:31 PM

Hey Jon R, I have been seeing the term "wall wart" in text. Care to share some history and a brief description of what they are? It seems to have suddenly popped up and I have fallen behind in the new jargon. Thanks!

It is a term used in the audio industry that I assumed was broadly used, but maybe less known than I thought. It is a term used for those small power supply transformers, typically with a rectifier but not always, that have an integral plug and sit on your wall receptacle rather than the piece of gear having those power supply components internally and running a 120VAC cord into the chassis of the piece of gear. It’s typically a cost cutting design choice but sometimes is for electromagnetic noise or heat management reasons. The name comes from them looking like your wall grew a rectangular black wart.

Jon R

#7 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,774 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 02 March 2024 - 10:11 PM

Thanks Jon R. Somebody named it and stuck. I always just used them a know what they do. Moving forward I know what is ment by "wall wart".

Edited by pvstoy, 02 March 2024 - 10:13 PM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 March 2024 - 11:10 PM

With 120 VAC outlets and connectors, the often larger slot on the left of the outlet is the neutral, the slot on the right is the hot/power, and the bottom, circular connection is ground. 

Many of the newer RVs have Electrical Management Systems (EMS) that will not work with inverter/converter style generators that typically have what’s known as a floating ground.  The work around is to buy or make a grounded neutral male plug, and connect it to one of the AC outlets on your generator 

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users