10 replies to this topic

#1 Jzack605

Jzack605

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:51 AM

I’m definitely confused on toilets and how they work. My current set up is a toilet seat made by reliance that I put a bag in for solids. It works but I’m not thrilled about a bucket of **** bags in the camper during transport. I’m thinking about upgrading to something a bit better. This will be in a FWC Hawk Shell. Would a cassette be the way to go? A composting?

#2 todgru

todgru

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationMaupin, OR

Posted 28 March 2024 - 01:02 AM

Two years ago, I installed an Ogo composting toilet in my Fleet FWC shell. Fits perfectly in the corner where I removed the battery compartment.

https://ogotoilet.com/

The toilet changes the game. It is worth every penny, and most importantly, the Wife is very happy with it.

todgru

EDIT: some photos of the toilet and some during the install. https://todgru.com/camper/toilet-sink/

Edited by todgru, 28 March 2024 - 01:04 AM.

#3 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 28 March 2024 - 02:49 AM

While I'm a big fan of the composting toilet in my off grid cabin (Natures Head), For the FWC I prefer a more compact system linked below.

https://www.amazon.c...le?ie=UTF8&th=1

This with wagbags works great for solids. We can even use it with the top collapsed in emergencies. 

For off the beaten path trips where we must haul the waste for many miles until we find a subtable place to dispose, I mounted a gamma lid bucket on the back bumper for waste and garbage to keep things smelling fresh inside. 

I will say that if you have the space, composting toilets are awesome!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2672 (1).jpg

#4 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:14 PM

I would love a composting toilet but the dimensions were just too big to fit in space we had. We actually have a marine toilet that we have prepped but would only use it if in an area that required privacy or pouring rain etc. We use a system that has proven easy to set up in a minute.   Separates the solids from liquids and just plan works. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7656.jpeg

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#5 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 March 2024 - 01:07 PM

I am more simplistic and do not like uni-taskers, including my toilet. We just use the 5gal bucket, I put a slit pool noodle around the top (leaving the front section open for “access)  and put a wag bag over top and wrap a bungee around it to hold it in place. We have a folding bamboo platform for our shower tent to keep us off the wet ground but folded and with the bucket on top it make a nice “comfort height toilet. That was a game changer. The other game changer is putting a gamma lid for the bucket. All the required “tools” go in the bucket while traveling and even after use the WAG bags go in the bucket nice and air tight.

The biggest game changer I guess is that my wife prefers the bucket over any other method. 
we just got back from 4 nights in Big Bend Ranch State Park and it worked flawlessly. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1847.jpeg

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#6 drumwood

drumwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 05:41 PM

We mostly camp in campgrounds that have some kind of toilet available. So the toilet in our Bobcat is primarily for night-time #1, but we want something that can handle #2 if we ever need it. We used to have a Thetford portapotti, but the cheap plastic hinges on the lid broke and I was getting tired of the emptying process after we got home from each trip. So I recently put in a Boxio composting toilet. It is very basic, and the form factor is good for a small camper. I find the process much easier to just pull the urine canister and empty it in the campground toilet every couple of days. Then there is nothing to empty when we get home. It is a separating toilet, which means there is a bit of a learning curve for women. My wife is not a fan of that particular feature.

#7 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 March 2024 - 06:14 PM

Another vote for bucket toilet.

I did 3 major things to make this work well for me:

1. Separate pee from poo.  The combination is what make the gaggy smell.  Pee jug gets dumped discretely.
  2. Use a Gamma Seal lid to hold whatever smell there is inside the bucket.
  3. Modify a toilet seat for 'at home' comfort.

1 toilet seat.jpg

I do a couple of minor things too:

1. I put sawdust in with each deposit.
  2. I use pine needles in the bottom of the 3 mil bag as a cover scent.

I have a 3 mil liner bag, a kitchen trash bag, and use individual bags for each deposit.  I also store the little garbage I generate in this too.  Kitchen trash bag is dumped whenever dumpster is available.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#8 superduty

superduty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 02:14 PM

Another vote for bucket toilet.
I did 3 major things to make this work well for me:

• Separate pee from poo. The combination is what make the gaggy smell. Pee jug gets dumped discretely.
  • Use a Gamma Seal lid to hold whatever smell there is inside the bucket.
  • Modify a toilet seat for 'at home' comfort.
1 toilet seat.jpg
I do a couple of minor things too:
  • I put sawdust in with each deposit.
  • I use pine needles in the bottom of the 3 mil bag as a cover scent.
I have a 3 mil liner bag, a kitchen trash bag, and use individual bags for each deposit. I also store the little garbage I generate in this too. Kitchen trash bag is dumped whenever dumpster is available.

What do you use for your pee jug?

Link for the 3 mil bags that you use?

#9 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 11 April 2024 - 06:31 PM

What do you use for your pee jug?

I find the Little John useful. I prefer the olive drab to Fire Engine Red. :ph34r:

There are versions for female use.

Check local fishing gear stores. Very commonly used on small fishing boats.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#10 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 April 2024 - 07:21 PM

For night time use I use this

https://www.amazon.c...&ref=nb_sb_noss

My wife has her own with the "Lady J" adapter. I have also heard that many ladies like the costco plastic M&M jugs. Wide opening and seals tight. Mens be sure it is a screw lid not snap to close. (they even have glow in the dark ones!

Edited by buckland, 11 April 2024 - 07:22 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users