26 replies to this topic

#1 Pamid2805

Pamid2805

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 07:52 PM

We have a 2020 hawk rollover with the standard furnace. Love the camper but was never completely happy with the furnace. We occasionally camp in shoulder seasons where night temps might just dip below freezing. Never in the snow. Furnace wd come on hard and loud and roast us. Then shut off and we wd be cold before it came on again. Had the older thermal pack and added additional thermarests to the windows.Tried different temps. Tried changing the cycle time. Nothing quite worked. I think the fan/furnace was just to big for the small space. I have seen many posts staying same issues.

Saw truma furnace while doing research a couple of years ago but minimal info on it. After FWC announced their change, reinvestigated the issue after some cold nights in Utah where we resorted to staying at a campground with electrical to use a small space heater instead.

Decided to go for it. Visited truma dealer in Elkhart Indiana (we are in Michigan). Then spent a few nights on the camper after install. First night into low 50s. Next two nights down to 28F.

Best idea ever and worth every penny. Super quiet. I thought we had run out of propane and it wasn't working the first morning...but it was running, just super quiet. Never woke me up cycling overnight and I am a light sleeper. Elkhart trauma dealer is greatly recommended. Easy to work with. Great area to relax during install. Did a terrific job.

If you are thinking about it and spend time in the camper in colder conditions, I strongly recommend.

In full disclosure...we also upgraded to the newer thermal pack but I don't think that changes too much. The quiet, easy blowing heat of the 3 stage fan in the truma is the real difference.

I have gained much wisdom from others in this forum. I hope this helps anyone on the fence make the decision.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 March 2024 - 07:57 PM

We have the Truma AquaGo water heater in our travel trailer, and love it.  I wish I had the heater, too.

I am haunted by waters

#3 SigSanDiego

SigSanDiego

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 08:20 PM

May I ask cost including labor for heater ?

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,341 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 March 2024 - 08:49 PM

Is this the furnace?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Defulmmt

Defulmmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:17 PM

I’ve had a eye on the Truma furnace for a couple years. Every time I turn on the Dometic furnace I hold my breath until it lights, or doesn’t. 

I found a dealer close to here who says bring the camper by and we’ll inspect it and provide a quote. 

I’ll report back with what I find out.

2021 ATC Panther

2019 F250 Superduty

#6 White 21

White 21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationN California

Posted 29 March 2024 - 03:03 AM

To do the new installation could they use the existing outside covers?

How about the inside?

#7 Pamid2805

Pamid2805

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 03:26 AM

It was $2k for install. They used a different cover for the outside. Black plastic composite that looks like it came with the camper. The inside old furnace opening was covered with a plate with a much smaller vent opening. The new inside plate is attached by 1" bumpers to offset from wall. This is to pull air in. I will have to get pics this weekend. Hard to describe.

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 March 2024 - 03:40 PM

My Suburban heater is pretty dang reliable but it sure is loud. Not 2k loud though :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,341 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 March 2024 - 03:54 PM

It was $2k for install. They used a different cover for the outside. Black plastic composite that looks like it came with the camper. The inside old furnace opening was covered with a plate with a much smaller vent opening. The new inside plate is attached by 1" bumpers to offset from wall. This is to pull air in. I will have to get pics this weekend. Hard to describe.

For those of us interested in this furnace, photos will be quite valuable. Thank you!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 Pamid2805

Pamid2805

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 09:26 PM

Here are interior pics

Attached Thumbnails

• int faceplate.jpg
  • int faceplate depth.jpg
  • Control panel.jpg