17 replies to this topic

#1 Dipodomys

Dipodomys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 06:03 PM

I would really love it if the water tank in our 2017 Fleet could take care of all our water storage needs, but the system imparts such a strong taste of plastic to stored water that it's difficult to drink. For now, our only solution is to use the Fleet's water system for dishes and bathing, while also lugging around containers of water for consumption. The water I'm putting into the tank is coming from our municipal supply, going through a drinking-safe hose and an RV filter before it goes into the tank. It's fine before it goes in, so it's definitely the system imparting the plastic taste.

Has anyone here figured out a way to improve the camper's water system in this regard? A major mod would be replacing whatever parts are causing the problem, like maybe a storage tank made out of a different type of plastic. Filtering the water coming out of the system might be easier. An in-line filter would be great if the pump can handle the flow resistance that would impose. Otherwise, maybe filtering water after it comes out of the tap, though that would add stuff to haul around and time to use. Ideas?

#2 SigSanDiego

SigSanDiego

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 06:32 PM

Thought about inline filter as well.

We use a Zero Water pitcher for drinking, coffee etc.

#3 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 31 March 2024 - 11:46 PM

I carry drinking and food prep water in up to 20 plastic half gallon jugs (Ocean Spray and similar) under the passenger side bench seat. I like having ten extra gallons anyway on longer trips. For weekends I take six or eight jugs.

Edited by Jon R, 31 March 2024 - 11:47 PM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#4 Bigfoot Dave

Bigfoot Dave

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 02:27 AM

Years ago we had a problem with really nasty taste from the camper tank. It ended up being the rv rated water hose. Even flushing it and sanitizing wouldn't help.

Replaced the hose and sanitized the tank real well. No more problems.

This might not help you but wanted to share.

Hope you had a nice Easter, Bigfoot Dave

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 April 2024 - 03:27 AM

+1 to what Bigfoot Dave said.  Get a good food safe water hose.  I use a "Zero-G" branded flexible, collapsable 50' hose.  Folds up nice and small.  

On top of that, I installed a water filter IN the camper.  I believe it is a 3m system that filters out most everything (.2 micron?) as well as even viruses and chemicals.  Our water tastes great!

The pressure did drop, a LOT.  I found the water pump manual online and cranked the pump up to its max.  Caveat, I installed my own water system and hoses, and know that they can take 50+ psi.  I'm not sure what the stock water system can take for pressure.  Use caution and lots of towels if it leaks!  

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 01 April 2024 - 04:54 AM

It has been several years since we experienced a similar problem with our 2014 Hawk. I found that if I went overboard with the chlorine bleach sanitization process, this would happen. I tracked mine down to leaving the chlorine shock treatment in the system too long especially in warmer weather. Mine stopped when I stopped putting a pint of chlorine bleach into the tank and running the pump until it went through the pipes and filled the water heater and I left it for several days. 

Cutting back on the amount of chlorine bleach to about a half cup, leaving it overnight then draining it with the faucets open and the water heater set to return to the tank.  Park with the drain downhill to get rid of as much bleach water as possible.. Refill with fresh water, drive around for a day and drain again with care taken to ensure it drains from the pipes, water tank, etc. Repeat the process then refill with fresh water again and leave overnight and check for bad odor again.  I found that three rinses always eliminated the smell. Unless I suspect bad water on a trip, I shock the system only once a year otherwise.

Good luck. Having that smell really can ruin a trip.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 April 2024 - 01:43 PM

What Bigfoot Dave and PaulT said…

The nastiest taste has been from a new RV rated hose that was sitting in the sun while connected to the city water inlet.

I am haunted by waters

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 01 April 2024 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for the reminder. Time for the annual flush.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 01 April 2024 - 06:47 PM

On my 2021 Grandby it does not seem to be my white potable water fill hose, which I use with a Camco charcoal and microbe filter at the camper end. Our city water is from a mountain watershed and reservoir and has no odd tastes or smells. If I put water from that hose in containers it tastes fine.

I’m also thinking it’s the lines and not the tank. If I take water from the rear wall exterior drain valve after letting about a half gallon flow, the plastic smell mostly goes away. I’m wondering if I’m experiencing what Paul T described with chlorine treatment having oxidized the plastic lines making them leach out taste and smell. I have always followed the recommended amount of bleach, but I think I have left the bleach in overnight. I may try vinegar again. Or maybe lemon juice, which has worked for backpacking water soft containers.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 April 2024 - 09:22 PM

Not recommending it, but have heard of folks adding a bottle of Vodka to the tank and running that through the lines vs other chemicals.  At least you can drink the stuff!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users