Photo
- - - - -

Newbie Query - which truck best for an ATC?

ATC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 h20pup

h20pup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 02:23 AM

Hi!

I am brand new here. Will be ordering an ATC very soon and still looking for the best (used) truck to put it on. For sure the truck will be a full-sized quad cab (RAM) or extended cab (FORD) and NOT a crew cab because I want a 6' bed and don't want an extended wheelbase. I love Toyota, but am not considering the Tundra. I also want a full-sized truck vs a Tacoma or similar.

Currently looking at a RAM Rebel (I figured the Rebel's off-road capacity and skid plates, etc., might be welcome features) however the photos seem to show that the lower corners of the tailgate and truck bed are rounded (??). I've never seen this on a truck before.

Does anyone have an ATC on a RAM with this type of rounded truck bed corners?

If going with the Ford option, I am concerned about the clam-shell style door for the rear seats bumping into the front corner of the camper when opening the truck door.

Does anyone with a Ford extended cab have this issue when opening the rear clam shell doors?

Thanks in advance for any insights. If there are other issues folks have run into with ATC/truck combos that didn't work well for whatever reason, I would sure love to hear about them prior to pulling the trigger on the truck.

Happy to be here and looking forward to gearing up & gettin' out there!

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,602 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 April 2024 - 04:54 AM

I don’t recall ever hearing about the rear door on an extended cab truck hitting the camper. That might be a good question to ask Marty when you place your order.  ATC makes their campers with the Ford Notch to deal with rounded bed to sidewall corners.   I have heard of people taking a hammer to the bed when buying a camper without a notch… not a practice I’d recommend.  Since you’re going full size, think about going with a 3/4 or 1 ton.  No worries about being overweight.

BTW, Welcome to Wander the West.  I think you’ll like working with ATC, they’re a great team and make great campers.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,298 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 April 2024 - 06:00 PM

Welcome to the cult.Second ATC. Marty and team are great to work with.

I have a 2009 Bobcat on a 2002 Tundra AC cab and this works great for us.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 h20pup

h20pup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 06:15 PM

Thank you for the info and welcomes! I have heard wonderful things about Marty & ATC and have friends with their products so that is a done deal in terms of what camper to order.

I would consider the larger rigs --  for now I am trying to strike a happy medium between hp, mpg, and the checkbook :rolleyes:

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,980 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 April 2024 - 08:11 PM

Thank you for the info and welcomes! I have heard wonderful things about Marty & ATC and have friends with their products so that is a done deal in terms of what camper to order.

I would consider the larger rigs --  for now I am trying to strike a happy medium between hp, mpg, and the checkbook :rolleyes:

hmm hp, mpg, and the checkbook ... I suspect you can only get two of those three in any one given vehicle.... 

#6 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 April 2024 - 10:05 PM

hmm hp, mpg, and the checkbook ... I suspect you can only get two of those three in any one given vehicle.... 

Like the old saw about consultants: Do you want it done fast, cheap or well? Pick two.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users