• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:19 AM

Hello All,

I am planning a Christmas road trip down highway one from Santa Cruz area all the way to Hunington Beach then head East through Joshua Tree and on to Grandma's house in Arizona. I am planning a night or two at Pismo where we can drive right out onto the beach and camp. It struck me that I don't know any other place we can do that. I have seen some thread on here about Usal beach on the North Coast where you can do that. So I thought we could all throw out the places we know you can do that. Of course places along my road trip would be great but even Northern California, Oregon and Washington would be good to know about since we all tend to travel these corridors a lot. So post the best on the beach camping you know about and pictures if you've got em.
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#2 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:38 PM

Montana de Oro SP
El Capitan SB
Refugio State Beach
Rincon
Emma Wood SB
McGrath SB
Point Mugu SP
Sycamore Cove State Beach
Thornhill Broome Beach State Park
Leo Carrillo SP

You might need reservations.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#3 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

Hello All,

I am planning a Christmas road trip down highway one from Santa Cruz area all the way to Hunington Beach then head East through Joshua Tree and on to Grandma's house in Arizona. I am planning a night or two at Pismo where we can drive right out onto the beach and camp. It struck me that I don't know any other place we can do that. I have seen some thread on here about Usal beach on the North Coast where you can do that. So I thought we could all throw out the places we know you can do that. Of course places along my road trip would be great but even Northern California, Oregon and Washington would be good to know about since we all tend to travel these corridors a lot. So post the best on the beach camping you know about and pictures if you've got em.

I'm pretty sure Pismo is the only place you can drive on the sand, all the beaches Chnlisle listed are good but you can't drive on the beach.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:35 PM

Can't drive on the beach at Usal either.

#5 CJinCA

CJinCA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:00 PM

You can drive on Clam Beach just north of McKinleyville. Driving is restricted to daylight hours and there is no camping on the beach proper. There is a campground right next to the beach, but unfortunately it’s also sandwiched next to 101 and while I’ve never used the campground I’d imagine traffic noise might interfere with a good night’s sleep. I’d bring ear plugs just in case.

You can also drive on the beach of the west side of Humboldt Bay’s south jetty. It’s also restricted to daylight hours only. And while there’s no place there to camp, it’s a great place to spend an afternoon and gather firewood from the beach.

Those two are the only ones in Northern California that come to mind where you can legally do any beach driving with your typical full size vehicle.

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:28 AM

Can or allowed? You can drive on the beach at Usal. Don't know if its legal but a lot of people were while I was there. Didn't try it myself. I had vision of a really heavy truck stuck there. The Jeep would have been fun.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:40 AM

Montana de Oro SP
El Capitan SB
Refugio State Beach
Rincon
Emma Wood SB
McGrath SB
Point Mugu SP
Sycamore Cove State Beach
Thornhill Broome Beach State Park
Leo Carrillo SP

You might need reservations.

You forgot Jalama County Park, otherwise a pretty good list! You can't drive on the beach at Jalama either.

#8 CJinCA

CJinCA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:34 AM

Can or allowed? You can drive on the beach at Usal. Don't know if its legal but a lot of people were while I was there. Didn't try it myself. I had vision of a really heavy truck stuck there. The Jeep would have been fun.

“Can” as in legal to do so.

Though it’s not a Wild West free for all. Certain restrictions apply at Clam Beach which are posted at beach access points. Such as a 15mph speed limit, holiday closures like on the 4th of July (too many idiots spoil it for all), avoiding the endangered Snowy Plover nesting areas during breeding season, driving restricted to the wave slope and others that I don’t recall at the moment.

The south jetty’s beach access points are posted with similar rules & regs regarding driving on the beach.

Not too many beaches left in CA you can drive on. Every once in a while there's a push to end vehicle access to these beaches, but so far it has been unsuccessful. I think the big reason they remain open to vehicles is these areas are not heavily trafficked and Man's impact on them has not been significant.

#9 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:45 PM

I think you can drive on that beach at the jct of 128 and hwy 1 at the mouth of the Navarro River? The name escapes me right now though.

#10 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:51 PM

As I recall the only real sandy beach there is right at the mouth of the river off Navarro Beach Rd.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users