• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#11 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:03 AM

Wow,

I knew driving and camping directly on the beach would be rare but it sounds like Pismo is the only place you can still legally do both.
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#12 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:18 PM

I have always wanted to do a Pismo trip. The last time we went down to visit my wifes brother, we had a car, so couldn't drive on the beach easily without the risk of getting stuck.

We did camp on the beach at the Lost Coast without any problems. The river bed was dry and we camped on the beach w/ our truck & FWC. There were 3 or 4 others there beach camping in their trucks / tents with 4x4 vehicles. The park ranger came out in his 4x4 truck to check up on a bunch of drunk teenagers, and he didn't say anything to the beach campers. We paid the park fee at the drop box on the way in. I'm guessing it was OK, because he drove right by and didn't say anything.

BUT the sand is soft. I don't think you would want to attempt it in a 2 wheel drive truck.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< Can or allowed? You can drive on the beach at Usal. Don't know if its legal but a lot of people were while I was there. Didn't try it myself. I had vision of a really heavy truck stuck there. The Jeep would have been fun >>>

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#13 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:59 PM

Hi Stan,

I have a 4x4 so that wouldn't be too much of a problem. I am currently in the market for a portable air compressor/jump starter so I can air down the tires for the beach and air back up when I hit the road. The lost coast is a good idea, I love it there. It won't be on our December road trip since we are heading south but could be a future trip. You mentioned the river so I assume you were at the mouth of the Matole river campground at the North tip of the Lost Coast? I've been there once, hiked out of the Lost Coast there and then hitch hiked back to my car....scary experience, that was my last time hitchiking and it was probably 12 years ago. If you can drive onto the beach there that would make a great trip.
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#14 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:09 PM

Stan,

I started a thread about on board air and compressor choices, if you have any advice you can find the thread here:

http://www.wanderthe...hp?/topic/2608/

thanks for the info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users