• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:38 PM

I know, I could have steped in that one. No, I don't need mental help or anything like that, but somebody or bodies here may think so. No, I need help with two camper items.
First: How long does it take to get the plastic taste out of the water from the holding tank? I have flushed it four times now with a little bit of bleach, but it still tastes bad. I use one of those white hoses to fill it with and all so now what do I do? I know it will eventually go away, but is there a way to speed things up?
Second: I am going to buy a solar panel but I have a couple of questions first. Since I have a Bobcat and the only thing in it that requires DC how big of a panel should I get? The only things in there is a pump for the water faucet, and two flouresent (?) lights. Some times a computer. Some times a bit of the refrigerator too. Star 152 came up with this one and I was going to get that but it must have been a special and is no longer there. http://www.costco.ca...1339&lang=en-CA
So where do I get the solar panel. I want it big enough so I never need to worry about it. And I want it to have the diodes so it doesn't back flow energy, and the minder so I don't have to worry about overcharging. I once had a battery blow up and it is psyco crazy spooky.
So PLEASE HELP ME, and soon,
Thanks a bunch, Scott

Scott, Valerie and Dukino 
2002 Tacoma Ext Cab TRD 4 X 4
2020 FourWheel Fleet, loaded

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:00 AM

Baking soda might work. Not sure how much you'd need.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:07 AM

What do you people think about this one? Would that be all I need to do the job, or would I need to add an inverter and a doo hicky and a thing a ma jig and such?

#4 CJinCA

CJinCA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:51 AM

There's a thread on water tanks a while ago at Water Tank Issues

Flush, flush, flush,.......then flush some more.

#5 griz

griz

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationCampbell River, B.C.

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:15 AM

I have a 75 watt panel and has served me just fine. It is all in the amps. 12volt X 75 or however the formula goes.
A good battery helps as well. Maintaining the battery in the off season helps big time.
"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

#6 robojeeper

robojeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:06 AM

I have used solar for many years and my key in having a good experence has been,two batteries or a combination to get at least 200+ amps storage and a good regulator at least 15 amp,I use a 30 amp rated,use minimum 10 gauge wire from solar panel to battery and if your using an inverter use size size 4 or larger fine stranded from battery to the inverter.I happen to have 3 optima blue top marine batteries two inside camper and one under the hood isolated from main battery to the engine.most of my camping is 3 to 5 days at a time in the winter.A 75 watt panel is nice size because,some days your going to get very little amp input,during the winter,or when parked in shade etc.if you run your heater 3 days is about it without solar and with solar 5+.I also have changed all lighting to led.I got my solar stuff at solar depot in Sacramento Ca.they may have other stores?
I had a problem with the water tank once(it was my fault) and I used an entire box of baking soda then drove around a little and let set for two days and it went away? I think it took another two years to get baking soda out but no harm.yours sounds like a tank new so may be different? I also used chlorine bleach.
2004 Sierra 2500HD 4x4 with 1988 Granby

#7 Sportsman Matt

Sportsman Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:56 AM

I had an issue with my water tank being full of well water that had a real high iron content in it, turning the inside of the tank orange and full of crud. I ended up having to pull the tank, fill it with 1 oz of chlorine bleach to 1 gallon of water, drive with the tank plugged for an hour around back roads, drain and flush the tank with clean water, and repeat 2 more times with the 1oz to 1 gallon to get the scum off the inside of the tank. Then I added water and drained it several times, and when I did go to use it, I flushed the tank with water and drained it, then added Tastepure Drinking Water Freshener for the first 3 trips out and then flushed it again with just water, and the taste hasn't been noticed since.

Hope this helps.

Matt
Fly Fishing the North East, New England, and Eventually the world.

#8 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:25 AM

One thing I always do is fill up with city water that has been chlorinated. I also live with a well, and have an iron issue, as well as a sediment issue. I won't use anything that is not treated. The water in the tank will be less likely to cause you problems with a small amount of disinfectant in it. Like mentioned earlier.....flush it several times with higher concentrate, then flush several times with tap water. It will disappear over time.

Good camping.

Paul
2008 F-150 5.4L QC 4x4, ride rite air bags, 2009 Hallmark Milner LX

#9 Eldough

Eldough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:49 PM

Second: I am going to buy a solar panel but I have a couple of questions first. Since I have a Bobcat and the only thing in it that requires DC how big of a panel should I get? The only things in there is a pump for the water faucet, and two flouresent (?) lights. Some times a computer. Some times a bit of the refrigerator too. Star 152 came up with this one and I was going to get that but it must have been a special and is no longer there. http://www.costco.ca...1339&lang=en-CA
So where do I get the solar panel. I want it big enough so I never need to worry about it. And I want it to have the diodes so it doesn't back flow energy, and the minder so I don't have to worry about overcharging. I once had a battery blow up and it is psyco crazy spooky.

We recently purchased a used 80watt panel off craigslist. I think most RV stores now carry solar equipment. For the size, probably around 75-85watts would work...like robojeeper said, there will be days when you won't get that much sun and you want to charge as fast as possible. Also, there is an amps spreadsheet here on the forum. You will need a controller...they have diodes built in and depending on the kind you get, will maintain your batteries with bulk, absorption, and float charge stages. For your computer, you can either use an inverter (hardwired or 12v plug) or a 12v power supply...the other DC will not require an inverter. Hope this helps.

#10 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:12 PM

All these tips are great. I have flushed the water tank with fresh bleach water four times, then refilled with just tap.
As for the solar, I found one on Amazon.com that is rated for 80 watts. http://www.amazon.co...56343485&sr=8-2 And I am thinking of the controller here: http://www.amazon.co...uto_ai_-2_1_tit
Thanks,
Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users