27 replies to this topic

#11 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:39 PM

How about a visit to Big Bend and drop by and see Ari?

I've thought about that but Big Bend is pretty much on the other end of the Earth from my location. One day I'll get there. Is there backcountry there like Death Valley has (lots of backroads to explore by truck)?

#12 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:41 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Anza Borrego sounds like the spot to check out.

Ted - I wish I could meet you guys that week but I will have family obligations.

#13 Bat

Bat

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:11 AM

Anza Borrego is our local fun spot in the winter. Look into Sandstone canyon,Split mountain and Mud cave area great spots. Coyote canyon is great at the top but you have water crossing and 2 rock sections to get through. Let me know and I will give you any info you need.
052.JPG 064.JPG 081.JPG

#14 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:28 PM

I've thought about that but Big Bend is pretty much on the other end of the Earth from my location. One day I'll get there. Is there backcountry there like Death Valley has (lots of backroads to explore by truck)?

There are many backroads, some parallel the river others in different directions, and backcountry campsites along all. Rough and remote country, just what you'd like :lol: Not a lot of paved roads really, 3 regular campgrounds. If you do ever head that way also check out Ft. Davis, Balmorhea, and maybe Big Bend Ranch State Park but I haven't explored that yet. This is by a backcountry camp
Posted Image
And lots of these
Posted Image
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#15 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:09 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Anza Borrego sounds like the spot to check out.

Ted - I wish I could meet you guys that week but I will have family obligations.

If you're going to Anza Borrego, you might as well hop over to the Salton Sea for a day. Or at least go to Sea View off of Hwy 62 in Joshua Tree National Monument. What time frame are you looking at?

#16 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:42 AM

What Barko said. If you like DV, you'll like Big Bend. Hope you get there one of these days.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#17 realbtl

realbtl

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBigfork Montana

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:09 PM

Funny you should mention Borrego, I was there this past Sun and Mon and it was beautiful as always. I scored one of the old rock cabanas (#104) and the weather was low 90s, quite a change from Montana when I left last Fri.

I found a gorgeous road from Joshua Tree to Mecca, can't remember the name/# but I was trying to avoid freeways the whole trip. 1317 miles from Bigfork MT to Borrego and only 50 miles of Interstate from where Hwy 93 joins I15 to Nipton cutoff on the CA border. Retirement is good.

Edited to add- If you see a big green truck with an ATC pulling a fat pig of a Uhaul trailer on I5 tomorrow or Fri that'll be me moving the last of my mom's furniture from Oceanside to my daughter in the east SF bay area. That will not be fun!
1963 VW Sunroof, 1996 Corvette Convertible (summer) 2004 Ranger, 2008 Subie Legacy GT (snow) 1997 F250 now known as The Big Green Beast Cougar shell picked up 8-28-09, mods begun

#18 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:17 AM

What time frame are you looking at?

I haven't figured that part out yet.

#19 George

George

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:06 PM

Other than the crusty dude gathering at Death Valley, what would be some other good winter trips ideas? Wanderers from Socal and Arizona - where do you like to camp during the winter?

I've been to Parashant National Monument a number of times. It's north of the Grand Canyon, and runs close to Lake Mead. It covers a lot of territory, and some of it is low enough to be pleasant in the Winter. There are usually a lot of big fifth wheels around Whitney Pocket, which is where the pavement ends on Gold Butte Road. There are a lot of roads that run south, ending at Lake Mead or, farther east, the Canyon. I have some photos here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sears.george/ParashantNationalMonument2005#

The Mojave Road that crosses Mojave Preserve is something like 125 miles, from Baker to Laughlin. There is a dry lake bed that may be muddy, plus some miles in the river. Not sure, but the maps show most of the 125 miles as 4 wheel drive or high clearance. You can do segments. I haven't seen much of the route personally.

I guess Trona Cliffs is an ATV spot. I ran across Amboy Crater last winter, but never got in there. I think it is BLM where you can camp.

George

#20 Bat

Bat

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:03 AM

The Mojave was fun and had some great historic sites along the way. We were a little worried about crossing the lake bed because of rain but it was dry and smooth.
Mojave road trip 11-2-2008 099 (Small).jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users