4 replies to this topic

#1 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:16 AM

Here's a late report with some pics of a trip I made in August.

My vacation was spent mostly with family in CA, then a trip to Oakridge, OR to visit a friend. I wound up only having a few days of vacation left, and a long drive home to New Mexico. I picked some places I wanted to see and headed the long way home, knowing full well that I wouldn't be able to stay long in any one place.

Most of you will agree with me that this isn't "Wandering the West". This is "Blitzing the West". Each place I passed through deserves at least a week of exploring. I consider this trip a sampler of some places I have to return to. Retirement can't arrive too soon! Anyway, there won't be a lengthy travelogue, but I know you like pictures, even though my camera and photo skills don't hold a candle to others on this site. So, here goes:

I spent some time in Captain Leisure's back yard in the Willamette NF. Maybe he recognizes this view?
Posted Image

Close to my friend's house in Oakridge is Huckleberry Lookout. Had a nice visit with the fire lookouts, a husband and wife team from the Bay Area. My camera can't do the views justice, plus it was a hazy day from grass field burning in the Eugene area. Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.
Posted Image

Some fireweed on the trail to the lookout
Posted Image

I then headed East through Oregon. Dirty Dog's report on John Day Fossil Beds intrigued me, so I made a quick trip there, but to a different part, the Sheeprock unit. This is a view of the access into Sheeprock Unit.
Posted Image

Passed through the Malheur NF and wound up camping at Dixie campground. Had a coyote serenade that went on for over an hour. Life is good. Katie the collie enjoyed it, too.
Posted Image

I wanted to camp near the Sawtooth Range the next night, but wound up short of the mark. It was the weekend, and campgrounds were filling fast, so I grabbed a site in Helende campground in the Boise NF. No pics, sorry. It's between State Rte. 21 and the S. Fork of the Payette River. If I were a trout, I think I would like that river.

The next morning, I traveled by the Sawtooths and stopped briefly at McCoy''s Tackle in Stanley to get a fishing guide book. I plan to come back to this area and give it the time it deserves.
Posted Image

Leaving the Sawtooths ... (Sawteeth? - Proudfoots or Proudfeet?).
Posted Image

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#2 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:18 AM

Then, on to Craters of the Moon. I spent some time hiking some of the trails and went to the Ranger's presentation on the Oregon Trail and Goodale's Cutoff that evening. Got my history lesson and met a young couple from Britain who are doing a tour of North America. Their blog: http;//www.vanandaplan.com
Posted Image
Posted Image

Next, it was time to start a more southerly route. I had to stop by Mirror Lake in the Uintas (Utah), because my Dad's ashes are scattered nearby.
Posted Image

Heading out from Mirror Lake, the GPS said I should go over Soapstone Basin to Duchesne. I obeyed. It's a well maintained dirt road with tons of possibilities for dispersed camping.
Posted Image

Set up camp in the dark at Starvation Reservoir State Park. No pics, sorry.

The next morning I made the long drive to Colorado's Blue Mesa Lake campground.
Posted Image

I camped close to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and the next day I had time for some short hikes there. A note for dog owners: Most of the short trails to the canyon rim have signs allowing dogs on leashes. I guess this National Park is enough off the beaten path that they can relax the rules.
Posted Image
Posted Image

From there, new spectrographs, a new sky survey, and a dysfunctional team at work were calling for me to get home (to make things even more dysfunctional). So, it was a marathon drive home next, with at least a few glimpses of the San Juans as I sped through. I'll be back...
Posted Image

-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#3 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:50 PM

Nice pics! Just being out there is it's own reward. Thanks for the trip report.

Mike

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:55 PM

Well if you gotta do a long drive that sure looks like a nice one! I don't recognize the first photo - where is that?

I wonder if I declare them the "Sawteeth" by official WTW decree, it will become official?

#5 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:17 AM

Well if you gotta do a long drive that sure looks like a nice one! I don't recognize the first photo - where is that?

Shoot. I was kind of hoping you would recognize it, because I don't recall for sure. It could have been along Crescent Creek, since we were nosing around Crescent and Odell Lakes that day. I'm not sure, though. I should have taken notes.

-------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users