14 replies to this topic

#1 walker.malone

walker.malone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:40 PM

Hi,
New (day two) and very excited member to the forum here, as I go into the final stage of planning for the purchase of my first FWC or ATC camper. Currently camping the west/northwest in a beatup chevy 2wd van, but not for long!
Planning on a 4wd Tacoma extended cab with 4.0/manual.
Deciding between ATC Bobcat and FWC Eagle. Deciding factors include who answers my questions better and faster, inside height (I think it is the same, 6'4), and which layout seems better overall. I also am not sure about the windows. FWC has the "inside" windows, you can shut them without getting soaked in the seemingly never ending rain in the Portland area. Seems like a plus to be able to stay drier. ATC has the "outside" ones. Why?
Walker

#2 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:25 PM

Hi, the Bobcat has four large windows on the inside of the side liner. They operate from the inside. They also have outside storm flaps that operate from the outside. You can roll them up and leave them up most of the time. When you need them they will make all the difference. I will measure the inside height of a Bobcat today and email it to you. Marty

#3 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

Walker.Malone,

Welcome to the forum. Whichever camper you end up with, you will enjoy the move up from the van. As to the windows, like Marty said, both manafacturers have the clear window part that velcroes shut on the inside. ATC has the flaps on the outside but FWC stopped putting those on in 2004. We have a 2003 FWC and I really like having the flaps. Like Marty said, most of the time they are rolled up and left that way. But on rainy days and hot sunny days, I set them up with two 16" boards with velcro on each end like a small awning. This way you can have the window open but keep out the rain or direct sunlight. This isn't a big enough issue to decide between one manafacturer or the other, but I do wish FWC had not stopped installing these.

Ted

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,387 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:40 PM

Walker, my assumption is that you are talking about the storm flaps ATC puts on the outside of the sideliner -tent material. Otherwise I believe the inside flaps on ATC and FWC are similar. The stormflaps add to the weatherproofness of the sideliner. You can find on this forum photos of simple attachments folks have come up with to prop these open on an angle. We went with ATC installing a new sideliner in our older FWC because of the stormflaps, the quality of the liner material, and the installed attachments for the optional arctic pack. Good luck with your decision.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:50 PM

My advice: it probably doesn't matter. The storm flags are kind of a PITA, but if you ended up needing them I guess they'd quit being a PITA; however, we don't see many complaints about this one way or the other....

So, it probably doesn't matter.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#6 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:20 PM

Roll'm up and forget'm til y'need'm

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#7 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:44 AM

The exterior window flaps make great little awnings in direct sun, rain or snow. They also, when down, help keep water out of the interior if your driving in heavy rain for hours.

I guess they might be a PITA if you can't spare the minute it takes to set them up.

Stew

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:07 AM

Stew, the only problem is, short people like me need to bring along a ladder or perform some kind of contortionist act to get them down.

Posted Image

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:24 AM

Craig333
Can you give me more information about the dog bed in the photo above? Where did you get it and how much?
Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

Thats made by Paha Que. Very high quality. Has its own carrying case and a rainfly. Sets up in thirty seconds. Dog likes it. But, I don't see it on the Paha Que website now. This place has one.
http://www.alpinecam...r_p_61-383.html
May need to get one if they've stopped making them.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users