4 replies to this topic

#1 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:26 PM

Was looking for some type of tie down without sacrificing ground clearance. Brophy

Ran across these. They clamp to the top rail of the bed. Doesn't seem real secure. Thoughts?

2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#2 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:52 PM

They (state pocket tie downs) are quick & easy to install, but i'm not sure how good they will work on the newer trucks ?

Not sure if the new trucks have the same design as the "good old trucks" with the big steel beds and the big stake pocket holders.

Most new trucks hsave the stake pocket holes covered witha plastic tab. But im sure they would be removeable.

Many of the old timers used those tie downs for the big cabover campers.

But these days I don't see anyone using them.

I don't know why these are disappearing, but I would guess there would be some sort of reason for it.

Happijac tie downs would be better for ground clearance, but I'm not sure if they make a kit for your truck ?

I'm sure their web site would have the details.

Good luck on the new project.

Attached Thumbnails

• External Tie Downs 3.JPG
  • External Tie Downs 4.JPG

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#3 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:14 PM

They (state pocket tie downs) are quick & easy to install, but i'm not sure how good they will work on the newer trucks ?

Not sure if the new trucks have the same design as the "good old trucks" with the big steel beds and the big stake pocket holders.

Most new trucks hsave the stake pocket holes covered witha plastic tab. But im sure they would be removeable.

Many of the old timers used those tie downs for the big cabover campers.

But these days I don't see anyone using them.

I don't know why these are disappearing, but I would guess there would be some sort of reason for it.

Happijac tie downs would be better for ground clearance, but I'm not sure if they make a kit for your truck ?

I'm sure their web site would have the details.

Good luck on the new project.

Actually I was looking at the ones just below the stake pocket type. Maybe the stake pocket type would be stronger though.
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#4 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:35 PM

not sure about either of those

those look like they might be for the newer trucks that don't have much for a stake pocket holder

either way, they both look a bit wimpy

but I would not be afraid to use them on an older truck

I don't think I would put them on a new $30,000 truck.

But my older 2000 Ford that I drive now I would probably use them because I'm not so worried about the truck bed anymore (if anything were to happen to it, but it probably won't)

:D

===========================================================================

Actually I was looking at the ones just below the stake pocket type. Maybe the stake pocket type would be stronger though.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#5 BenG

BenG

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Locationwa state

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:34 AM

have used the stake pocket style hold down on my old 89 f250 and now my 96 f350, they have worked for me, use then with older keystone, but I don't do the servere off roading. If I was into the servere off roading would go different type, probably bolt thru bed with reinforcment below bed

Attached Thumbnails

• f350 028 (2).jpg

Ben 96 f350 4x4 86 keystone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users