16 replies to this topic

#11 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:24 AM

No lift so far, but as my trucks wheel base's get longer ('87 Toyota Xtra Cab, '99 Dodge Quad Cab and '06 Chevy Crew Cab all with about the same amount of ground clearance at the differentials), I see the need for a lift to accommodate break over angles. I'm considering a 4 inch lift in the front, 2 1/2 inch in the rear, with another inch or so from larger tires.

#12 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:23 PM

I may be way down at the end of the world in Ushuaia but I have a opinion…

The higher you go the wider you need to offset the foot print because you just raised your center of gravity. That is just for the truck alone. Now add a FWC and the center of gravity changes. Thought the FWC is great and can go anywhere, why create a hazard of rolling over while on trail.

Raising does help departure and approach angles but you can add bumpers and skid your way.

Tires, yes get wider as you go with a taller lift. The talk about gaining a lot of differential clearance by increasing diameter is true to a point. The tire is squatting on the bottom side and then you take air out for traction and performance on the trail. If you really want the max diff clearance you need to go big diameter. There are rock skids available or have custom made for protection.

Your driving style and experience off road is the most important factor and knowing the limitations of you and your truck. Make it right and make it safe for all

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#13 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

And on the 83 Toyota 4x4 long bed I had 33x12.5 BFG All terrians and 1.5 inch lift because that was the lowest National Springs could make with all the thin leaves.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#14 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

No lift on this rig, I don't need it at this point. Down the road if I start hitting terrain requiring it I'll ponder my options and truck selection more.

I've ran rigs with 8" lifts and such in the past and that combined with youthful vigor usually means you're going to be wrenching a fair amount, haha. Since now you are stressing out stock components (like joints, etc.) and getting into stickier situations and such.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#15 85K54WC

85K54WC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:04 PM

I found a 1985 Blazer, a California truck with a 1991 FWC. The back had a little blazer sag so I thought I would raise the truck 4". I did not take into consideration the loss of height the springs had when new. So my 4" lift turned out to be almost 8 inches from where the truck sat pre lift. Wish I would have went with a 2" lift. Food for thought if anyone is updating an older truck. Just remembered, the avatar is pre lift.

No lift on this rig, I don't need it at this point. Down the road if I start hitting terrain requiring it I'll ponder my options and truck selection more.

I've ran rigs with 8" lifts and such in the past and that combined with youthful vigor usually means you're going to be wrenching a fair amount, haha. Since now you are stressing out stock components (like joints, etc.) and getting into stickier situations and such.

Edited by 85K54WC, 17 November 2009 - 05:06 PM.

#16 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:57 PM

While camping I have find the only lift I need comes from the agave plant.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#17 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:08 PM