• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Hayduke

Hayduke

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast California

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:50 AM

Davinsky started a thread RE: custom work on campers. Here are a few photos of the bed/heater and storage sink and stove cabinets I've added to my circa 1996 shell model...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2828.JPG
  • IMG_2829.JPG
  • IMG_2831.JPG
  • IMG_2832.JPG
  • IMG_2833.JPG

#2 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:58 AM

Hayduke....
That is one Bitch'n innards!!!

Please do tell me some details about it. I am in the processing of designing mine now. got a 2001 hawk shell just waiting to be altered.

Pros and cons of each of the "units" and how long did it take you to do?

I probably won't be running water or stove, like to do that outside or with portable inside only. Do like the rest......detail details details. we will just soak it up. And, any extra pics would always be appreciated.

Looks like a little castle on wheels.

cool.

dave

#3 Hayduke

Hayduke

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:28 PM

Dave, Thanks. Is your shell empty, or do you have the fold out couch added? My seat is simple. It folds over on itself and is supported by two legs. I'll send some detail photos soon. I built the cabinet around a propane box I made out of wood. I dont have any water tanks. just a sink that can drain outside for incliment weather use, i.e. to drain the pasta water or brushing teeth. Most of the time it's kitchen stuff storage. That box is sealed pretty good on inside to prevent any propane leaks from entering the camper. Next to the cabinet is a shelf I keep smaller rubbermain "action packer" boxes lashed down. I recently added a 12,000 btu atwood 8012 2 furnace and mounted it on that shelf. It's mounted in a different place because I was limited to where I could cut the vent hole and all the other stuff in there. I pulled off the interior siding, and found my 4 inch space for the vent hole. I was limited in that way, but it works great and has a low amp draw. I don't have the accessory battery, but recently put in a yellow top optima battery for the truck and now carry a 15 watt solar panel to help charge it. I'll try to take some detail pictures later. Do you have any specific questions about any add ons? Let me know
Hayduke

#4 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:01 PM

Hayduke....
Man, you do nice work! That is one sweet setup. I like it all. Looks like you have found a great balance between what your needs are, storage and space to live inside. It is really well thought out and very attractive as well. How does Ruby like it?...well, actually, I guess the look on her face says it all.....let's go, Pop....!

Brian

#5 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:02 PM

Hayduke...

I love this thread. Just what I like to see. My hawk shell does have the fold out couch...on the window side.
my thoughts are to add some cabinets on the opposite or drivers side with a fold down table.....Dr. Kayak has a nice setup and I plan to do that. Didn't plan on a sink, but maybe after seeing yours... Most of the time don't need a heater as it is pretty warm here in the pacific northwest most of the year. Do have a portable unit I can use in a pinch.

I was thinking of putting in a raised storage/couch instead of the pullout so I could raise the height, then put in a 'basement' for more storage. Only problem is that it would be hard to sit on the couch with top down for quick lunch or work on the laptop....seems I am always downloading photos and doing some editing.

Minimalistic is what I am aiming for, but man, I do like your little setup....

dave

#6 Hayduke

Hayduke

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:47 AM

Davinski, thought I'd put up a few more photos of interior, in case you needed more visuals. They probably are not that different than the pics I already posted, but they might stir some ideas. I'm happy w/ this set up, as my shell is pretty small and it allows some interior room, but still some of the amenities I like since Iquit sleeping in tents every trip. Still, there is something special about the simplicity and minimalist aspect to sleeping in a tent. Sucks in bad weather and wind though
Hayduke

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2842.JPG
  • IMG_2847.JPG
  • IMG_2843.JPG
  • IMG_2846.JPG
  • IMG_2853.JPG

#7 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:46 AM

Heyduke, that is a sweet rig. I am currently debating on whether or not to get a new shell model (eagle), a new one equiped with some of the features offered, i.e. sink, stove, fridge, etc. Or continuing the never ending search for a used one I like and can afford. Currently I am camping in a wildernest topper, great accomodations for warm weather. Actually holds up well in the rain and snow too...drying it out once its closed is a bit of an issue when it doesn't stop raining or snowing. Any comments on shell vs. a model with some of the luxuries...other than price of course. Seems like people have had troubles with the fridge, heater is key for sure...and a stove...maybe a sink. Anyway, cool rig thanks for the pics! Cheers...

#8 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:49 AM

Very, VERY homey interior Hayduke..Love it!

#9 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:37 PM

Another nice job. It appears that you have a piece of screen or shade cloth rolled up on the door for a bug barrier. How well does it work? Also tell me about your heater. Is it forced air? How efficient is it?

I hope life is getting somewhat back to normal for you these days.

Thanks, Jay

#10 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:14 AM

Another nice job. It appears that you have a piece of screen or shade cloth rolled up on the door for a bug barrier. How well does it work? Thanks, Jay

Good catch Jay, I did not see that until you pointed it out. I see there is some Velcro down the brown trim. I also want to know more.

Hayduke your camper looks great!

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users