More on custom insides

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:43 AM

Wow, great looking job. I know a new company that could use some help right now. Pay is lousy, lots of overtime and no days off.:D Lots of satisfaction from a job well done though.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#12 Hayduke

Hayduke

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast California

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:11 AM

First, Thanks so much for the responses. I haven't been online for a week or so and was surprised to see this post resurrected. I've changed this camper about 4 times since I have owned it new It's a 1996 FWC shell. Now for specifics...
erod...Hmmm, shell vrs. fully equiped model, I say weigh your needs and your abilities. The good news is, if you need a few items such as heater, screen door, sofabed, etc., ATC or FWC can accomodate a shell model with a bunch of amenities without all the cabinetries. If I did it again, I would buy an All Terrain Camper with the heater, screen door, auxillary battery and sofa bed installed. I built the cabinets, bed and did some other stuff before I was married. Later, I added a heater and propane system, but it almost cost me my marriage, as I spent 1 1/2 weeks at least several hours a day figuring out the layout and working on it. Wife-" Where's dad honey?" Daughter-" Uh, he's in back working on his camper." Wife- "Again? What the h__l is he doing to that thing now?"
This is an exageration, but as I say to my wife, "stuff takes time". In the end, I told her I did it for her, which is partially true, as my wife likes to complain about being cold. No more excuses. That heater works great.
As you explore the possibilities, you'll figure out what you need. Buying used seems hit and miss. These things are snatched up fast on the used market. I installed a sink with a drain in that cabinet I built, but I carry water in 3 to 5 gallon jugs to spread the weight out. No built in water tank or running water for me. I use my sink to drain pasta water,brush my teeth wash up, etc. It also serves as storage for some of my kitchen stuff while I'm driving. I installed a 2 burner stove and that's nice sometimes if it's windy, cold or weathering, but I carry another single burner coleman stove to set up outside on a small folding table when I cook outside. No refriderator for me either. Wouldn't have one, but I have several high quality ice chests that double a seats and tables. Pull em out, and they don't take up that precious space. There are tricks to making ice last, and it can last a pretty long time, especially with good ice chests and block ice/dry ice combos. That sounds like another post. Good Luck. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Chnlisle & pvstoy, As for screen doors, I'd give my left, uh, pant leg for a real one. I ended up doing a simple fix that works, but is not the easiest to get in and out of. I installed screen material along the header section of the door using a continuous piece of sticky velcro. The piece on the netting is sewn on. The screen hangs down to the floor. Along the edges of the door on the inside, I put velcro pieces with the other side (hook vrs loop) sewn onto the netting. When I'm inside, I can drop the net and press the velcro in place to make a fairly effective bug barrier, albeit no-see-ums fly right through the damned thing. If I leave the camper, I can still reach in and seal the netting up. The velcro on the vertical aspect along the door edges are small pieces about 2" long. They are spaced out enough so I can reach between and push the velcro together from the outside. It works, but I wrote to Ben a while back and will probably have a real screen door installed by ATC when I get the chance. I had been reading the posts on screen doors and intended to throw my 2 cents in with some photos about my cheap solution to those little buggers, but haven't got around to it yet. I'll try to post some photos if you are interested.

Ben, I know you are joking about the work thing, but if I retire early here and we move to Nevada City, I may just be knocking on the new shop door for a job. These campers are one of my passions. You guys are doing a great job from what I can see on the posts and your website. I'm afraid to come to your shop because I know when I see those new ATC's, I'll start rationalizing reasons why I need a new camper.

Happy trails everyone
Hayduke

#13 Hayduke

Hayduke

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:27 AM

Chnlisle, sorry, forgot to tell you about the heater. recently bought an Atwood 8012 11. The 2 1's are the roman numeral thing for 2. It is a 12,000 BTU furnace that has an amp draw of 1.8 amps. That's the lowest amp draw I could find in a fan forced heater. Installed a 20 dollar atwood thermostat and the whole thing works perfectly. I had to install it where I did due to space considerations, and the vent hole. I pulled off the interior wood and found the one place I could vent the beast in that left rear location without having to remove the shelving it rests on. I have a single battery in vehicle for starting and camper accessories. Just recently installed a new Optima yellow top. I have a 15 watt solar charger to use if I'm in one place for a while, but haven't had any problems so far with using the heater. If you have a shell model, I think you could install one lower, kinda where the factories put them. I had to build the support and keep the thing raised up, but I put diamond plate on top and it is a good rest spot for hot coffee, hot pans and cold beer alike.
Let me know if I missed something.
Hayduke

#14 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:25 PM

Who's joking.:) Actually just hired a retired fellow today for the shop. Will probably be adding a couple more over the next couple of weeks.

I hope you make it to Nevada City soon. I love the area up there. Just the right amount of snow each year also. Great place to live.

When you get a chance stop by. I won't let you buy a camper.:D
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

#15 Hayduke

Hayduke

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:50 PM

Sounds good Ben. I'd love to see the new place. I just turned 50 and could retire from the fire service. It might happen next summer. I'll be by before that to meet you and see the campers/shop. If I call ahead and arrange a time, would it be possible to make an appointment to have that screen door installed?
What I need is a four door tacoma w/ 6' bed so I have room for the wife and daughter. How are the campers mounting to the new composite beds? I heard mention of some external tie downs a while back.
Take Care
Hayduke

#16 Hayduke

Hayduke

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:00 PM

Ben, I had another idea. I'll buy that Tacoma, and you can plop campers on it. I'll drive around with a for sale sign on the camper, give them test runs over on the East Side and out in the desert, and we'll sell those things faster than you can make them. Reasearch/Development, marketing and sales in one fell swoop.
Have a good one
Hayduke

#17 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:50 PM

Check out the screen bug curtain my brother has in his mid-80's Grandby. Don't think it was a factory item. But pretty cool and works great!

Attached Thumbnails

• screen1.jpg
  • screen2.jpg

#18 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 05:10 AM

Heyduke,

No problem with the screen door. Just give me a call ahead of time and we can get that ready for you.

I like the idea of running around with a for sale sign on. I have always said that our customers sell more campers for us than anyone. :D

Hate to see you in a divorce though, still don't think I can sell you a camper until I talk to your better half.:)
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

#19 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:14 AM

thanks for the advice heyduke. once again, great job on the camper and i can definately relate with the wife thing. i only have a girlfriend but get plenty of &%$& for either looking for campers, messing with mine or playing on these forums. but i tell here the same thing...that its all for her! cheers, thanks again for the pics. any camping/truck pics...i can only imagine what your camp looks like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users