11 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

I was just talking with a friend about this interesting place we visited for a "very short" time in 2006 so thought I would share. We have enjoyed our explorations around the Nevada backcountry and still can be greatly surprised at what we find. This is southeast of Fallon, Nevada and south of highway 50 near Frenchman. I would not make this spot a reason for a trip or a destination. If you find yourself in the area, you may want to take a side trip. It is thought provoking. With an interest in history of all kinds, I found this website with some background:
http://ndep.nv.gov/shoal/PSA.htm
Happy wandering!
N 39 degrees 12.010 minutes, W 118 degrees 22.888 minutes, WGS84 datum

Attached Thumbnails

• project-shoal-site.jpg
  • shoal-monument.jpg

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

That's cool, I hope I'll get to it sometime. A related site in the Trinity Site here in NM which is the site of the worlds first nuclear detonation: http://www.atomictou...com/trinity.htm Open 2x a year,I think early April and October.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#3 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:05 PM

I think I'll stick to Baja.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:48 PM

Interesting. I had no idea they detonated bombs outside the testing range.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 RJones

RJones

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMtns of Colorado

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:01 PM

Interesting. I had no idea they detonated bombs outside the testing range.

They were using bombs instead of drilling rigs for awhile!

Green Valley, Colorado

The aim of Project Rulison was to determine if natural gas could be easily liberated from underground regions. The test had a yield of 43-kilotons. After the test, the natural gas that was extracted was determined to be too radioactive to be sold commercially.
(39.487085°N, 107.95166°W)

Rio Blanco, Colorado

The Rio Blanco test site had three simultaneously detonated 30 kiloton bombs, each at the bottom of a shaft more than a mile deep. The blast was marginally successful in causing the gas to collect in the cavity and fissures produced by the bombs, however the gas was too radioactive to be sold commercially.
(37.978845°N, 108.303223°W)
RJones

02 Eagle - 07 Tacoma TRD

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:14 AM

Barko1 & RJones, thanks for the info on other sites. The idea of a short visit to the Trinity site interests me. We visited Los Alamos this past spring.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:33 AM

If you head down towards Trinity let me know and I can suggest some other sites. The Trinity site is really quite a historic spot, even though there is nothing much there of course :)
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:34 AM

Thanks for posting this. Nevada definitely calls for some closer inspection :)

#9 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:04 AM

A TRUE STORY. Someone I know very well worked on these projects at these locations. He was scheduled to go witness a blast and the night before got so drunk he missed the plane the next morning due to a hangover. All of his coworkers who witnessed the blasts died of a strange cancer shortly thereafter. I visited one of those friends when I was a little kid, I remember seeing him with a giant tumor on his forehead before he died.

Have fun out there.
ATC Bobcat, 2001 Tacoma 4X4, Supersprings, Bilsteins, Hewig Stabalizer

#10 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:30 AM

If anyone comes to visit the Trinity site, you'll be a few hour's drive from where I work at Apache Point Observatory. Give me enough advance warning, and I can arrange a tour of the observatory (or at least the telescope I work with) for anyone who is interested.

There's good dispersed camping in the Sacramento Mountains, too. Even more good camping west of Barko's neck of the woods.

Barko, thanks for the link to the atomictourist site. Interesting.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users