Photo
- - - - -

HELP, What step combo do U use to enter & exit camper?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:04 PM

I picked up a set of the hitch mount double steps and had a chance to try them out this past weekend. They worked just great!

BTW - I needed a hitch extension to clear the tailgate...

Attached Thumbnails

• 20070609009.jpg
  • 20070609014.jpg

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#22 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:18 PM

Thanks Jim,

That gives me the illusion that it is out in space and way back there like you need a hand rail for OSHA requirements :D . Do you un-hitch it when you drive?

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#23 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:48 PM

jim nice set up, steps look cool. edohart, that is a cool link, great idea. my old newfoundland is having troubles getting into the camper, i may be buying one of those units! thanks a bunch...

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#24 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:54 AM

Patrick,
It sure does look like it is out there in the pictures but with the 14" extension it fits great with the tailgate down. It is much more stable than a step that sits on the ground IMHO :D

I take the step off when traveling since the bottom step is lower than the receiver height and back so far it would certainly hit.

~Jim

#25 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:00 AM

I don't know what is going on with the original URL I posted for the twistep, but http://www.twistep.com has the same thing and an even better step for use on a pickup with a tail gate. I ordered one today. I'm still thinking of welding a piece of steel to the bottom of the draw tube on my bike rack. The only problem is the step I have in mind for the bike rack is small enough that the dogs try to jump over it (I built a wood box that would fill the same space as a test unit), which usually means they hit it and end up limping around for a few minutes.

#26 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:55 PM

Ed,
I really like the looks of the twist step but my tailgate is so high on the Tundra that I really need more than one step. Plus on the double step, the top step is higher than the hitch insert which works out perfectly.

~Jim

#27 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:42 AM

anyone seen a step that mounts on the tire to access the roof rack for instance...feel like i have seen these before???

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#28 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:56 AM

try http://www.etrailer.com search for 'tire step'

Attached Thumbnails

• tire step.jpg

~Jim

#29 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:04 AM

sweet! thanks jim!

#30 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:54 AM

Here are some shots of the prototype (or is it the finish product? I'm not too sure at this point) back porch/tail gate I added last fall after busting my knee once too often with the rear wheels 5" off the ground on leveling blocks. We also missed the tail gate for having a cold one at the end of the trail and this has worked great. With some modification it could serve as addition hauling space but isn't intended for that. We found along the way that the standard door latch caused the door to block part of seating so I changed the latch to allow the door to swing completely open. In relocating the latch I replaced the original screws along with a little putty to seal the old holes and attempted to clean up the putty residue with various solvents. None of the solvents I used broke the putty completely. Does anyone know what I can use to clean the remaining spots?

Attached Thumbnails

• phpXHFQI0PM.jpg
  • php0GGM8OPM.jpg
  • phpjXyF7BPM.jpg
  • phpPbSrnGPM.jpg
  • phplBirywPM.jpg

DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users