9 replies to this topic

#1 Ridahog

Ridahog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSolano County, CA

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:11 PM

I'm looking for a place to dry camp in Northern California. I'm not too keen on switching to 4X4 mode. Just a secluded area. Any suggestions would be great. I live in Solano County which is between Sacramento and San Francisco.

#2 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:18 PM

By dry camping - do you mean just a CG with no services, or boondocking? Which, 'round here, we just call camping. ;)

Indian Creek county park in Philo is one of my all time favorites. IIRC, it's $10 per night and located in the oldest growth Redwood stand in the Anderson Valley. It's likely that you'll have the whole place to yourself this time of year. As far as FS camping goes, just pick a spot. Tons of great places along the Salmon and Klamath rivers, Del Norte, Trinity counties, etc where you won't be bothered by anybody.

#3 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:35 AM

are you going to be motorcycle camping with a tent ?

or in a car/truck with a tent ?

if you are in a car or a truck, bear valley road (at the junction of HYW 16 & HWY 20) is a pretty drive.

remote, good scenery, some remote campsites up in the upper valley, gravel roads much of the way but no 4x4 needed (2x4 is just fine).

you can get lakes, valley, high mountain views all with-in a 2 hour drive.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:04 AM

I'm assuming you mean now or fairly soon? Which means you probably don't want snow. Looking for a place with water? Need a bit more info to help.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Ridahog

Ridahog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:33 PM

No I'm pretty spoiled. I'll be in my Ford truck with my oversized camper ontop. It's comfortable, but it won't get into some of the places I see where you go.

Attached Thumbnails

• camper1.JPG

#6 Ridahog

Ridahog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes being by a lake/resevoir would be nice, but not necessary. Just looking at being alone with nature. I camp once a month at various RV parks with my Eagles Lodge members, but I want someplace to go with just me and the wife and away from a full service RV park. I told the wife that was the reason for getting a cabover instead of a 5th wheel.

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,345 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

my.......that's a big one!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:44 PM

i would say that the snow is going to limit your options.....a lot as most national forests could be difficult to traverse at higher elevations.

head up to the redwood coast....the further north you go the less people you will see.
we have stayed in some of the state parks this time of year and there isnt much use. we had jedediah smith state park to ourselves last year......right on the smith river. the camp host was on the other side of the park.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#9 Ridahog

Ridahog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

I decided to take my vacation in June when schools out. I looked up Jeremiah Smith SP and it sounds like a great place. It's a little over a 6 hour drive. I thought I'd stay there a few days and work my way back home. Thinking about Salt Point SP and any others along the way if you have any suggestions. Wrights beach sounded great, but there's no openings on the days I'll be off. Again thanks for all the suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails

• camper1.JPG

#10 Ridahog

Ridahog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

Sorry Jedediah Smith SP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users