Photo
- - - - -

How do you transport, protect, and use your generator?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:41 PM

Do you already have the truck this is going on? I'm guessing you do but on the off chance you don't you could get a truck with an 8'box. Then either mount the camper forward and build an enclosure at the back of the camper for the generator which would be supported by the truck or mount the camper back somewhat to allow the generator and some other stuff to be stored in front of the camper between the truck and camper.

Or perhaps get creative and mount the generator under the body of the truck, depending on your rig and the size of the generator that might be feasible.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#12 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:45 PM

That might be helpful, just have to crawl into the camper from the front :D

I'm pretty sure if you reverse the order in which it's installed its removable. Life - go figure just one compromise after another.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#13 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

I use a Honda 1000 when not using the air conditioner, and a Honda 2000 when using AC.

My husband and I are about to purchase our first truck camper, and we would appreciate some input concerning the generator. We are getting a Hawk 4WC, and this particular unit has a small AC unit preinstalled by the company (it's in the window to the right of the back door). This camper also has two fantastic fans, so we don't anticipate using the AC very often. However, we travel with our dog and two cats, and the AC will give us the opportunity to leave them in our vehicle for short periods of time without cooking them to death.

Unfortunately, running the AC will require the complication of a generator. Since we have never used a truck camper nor generator before, we aren't sure of the best way to transport and use the Honda 2000i generator. We have talked with the camper dealer and done a lot of online research, but we would appreciate input as to what you do with your generator.

As far as transporting the generator goes, our options seem to be:

- carry generator inside TC (main concern is potential gas smell)

- put box around generator and install on outside of TC (main concern is risk to structural integrity of TC)

- add a replacement bumper with swingout arms and storage--http://www.truckcampersupply.com/rearbumpertoyotatundra99-02withswingarmsandbrushguards.aspx (main concern is cost)

As far are operating the generator goes, our options seem to be:

- enclose generator in protective box which will protect from rain and theft; box left on while generator runs

- use generator "naked" and wrap a cable lock around handle; hope nobody cuts the generator handle and steals it

Anyway, we'd love to have input on the following questions.

1. How do you transport your generator? Do you carry it inside your truck or camper, or do you carry it outside?
I carry them inside. No gasoline smell whatsoever. I have a Hawk with dinette, and they fit right between the two boxes.

2. If the generator is inside, do you have any issues with gasoline odor or spillage? No gasoline smell whatsoever.

3. If you carry the generator outside, how do you do this? Does anyone have any experience with using a replacement bumper?

4. Has anyone used the converter kit that allows Honda 2000i generators to run on propane?
No.

5. Is your generator protected by a box, or do you use it "naked"? How do you keep it from being stolen?
No box, but I have high quality covers for them I purchased off ebay. I lock it up when not in use. The Honda 1000 is very light weight.

6. Where do you place the generator when you are using it? If our generator were attached to the back of our camper, would the fumes be likely to be sucked into the camper?
On the ground, behind the truck

7. We would anticipate mostly using the generator when we are parked in locations that do not allow pets. Is it generally okay to run the generator in a parking lot of stores, parks, etc.? We'd love to hear how other pet owners use their AC and generators when on the road.
I never camp with another person in sight....so usage hours are up to me.

8. Any other information we should know about generators and TCs?

Thanks for your input!

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#14 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:30 AM

I have a version of this. only downside is if you want to take on more difficult terrain you got that big mess hanging off the back. I wonder if a custom fabbed holder attached to the back bumper would work. In part it might depend on the size of the truck, might be OK on my F250.

I have a front mounted hitch that keeps the basket up pretty high. This is another option.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#15 BenG

BenG

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Locationwa state

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:43 AM

I also carry a honda generator at times, inside the camper , havn't had any problems with smell or gasoline yet, I just shut off the fuel and let it run till it dies, and when cooled down store it at back of camper when traveling.
Ben 96 f350 4x4 86 keystone

#16 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:04 PM

I have a front mounted hitch that keeps the basket up pretty high. This is another option.

That's true, I have one as well and it does allow access into the back door. Another plus is you can keep an eye on your load and sometimes you fit better in parking lots as the load is over the curb and not hanging back in a travel lane.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#17 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

2000 posts and not an XXL in sight!

Well spend 15 minutes doing the beta program and it will be in the mail :) You ARE retired after all right?

#18 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:56 PM

Dude are you back from aloha land?

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#19 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:36 AM

You might check out Bodiak. Their front mounted hitches mount to your tow bars in just minutes. Then a person could mount a carrier to that. I don't have one but will as soon as they design one for the new F150. :D
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#20 Ridahog

Ridahog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSolano County, CA

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:30 PM

I'm looking at putting a receive on the front of my truck and just use my cargo carrier that's rated at 600#. I have a Honda 3000 to run my air and microwave. Currently I carry it at the back receiver, but I can't when pulling the waverunners.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users