6 replies to this topic

#1 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:46 PM

We will be heading out Memorial weekend for a two week road trip. First stop is Zion. But we will be getting there on Sunday evening in the middle of a three day weekend. Does anyone have a suggestion for a place we can camp outside of the park? Perhaps some BLM land or something/

Thanks.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

Yeah actually.......

Look up the road to Gooseberry Mesa trail - it climbs out of Rockville which is near the park. Once you've gone a few miles on that if I recall there is some primitive camping opps up there.

#3 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:09 PM

Yeah actually.......

Look up the road to Gooseberry Mesa trail - it climbs out of Rockville which is near the park. Once you've gone a few miles on that if I recall there is some primitive camping opps up there.

Damn, missed that when we were there DD but I see the road on google maps now. There is a roadside campground off the 9 which we weren't too thrilled with and bailed on. Wound up camping at Quail Creek State Park outside of Hurricane. Hated it, but we were on our way home anyway. I guess it depends on what area you're gonna be around Ted. Looks like lots more options up North.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#4 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:57 PM

Ted,

As Dirty Dog said the Gooseberry area is fine although there will be other folks around Memorial Day. ATV's and such roar around outside the controlled areas.

Gooseberry can be accesed from 89 or 9 and there is also unlimited space on the AZ strip outside of St. George to the south. There is now a sign pointing the way to Gooseberry off of 89, I don't know about from 9. It is closer to come off 89 and go back over to 9 if you are camping and then visiting the park. Go west off the main road on the road to the trailheads and before you get to the first parking area there is a road on the right that has a nice campsite.Good mt biking here.

If you don't see anything you like there go back out to the main road and drove north until you see small roads branching off to some campsites.

Depending on where you are coming from there is a lot of BLM land west of ST. George off old 91 in the Beaver Dam wash area where you won't see many people.

Zion will be a real zoo that time of year and I would suggest you park outside the park and take the free shuttle in from Rockville or Springdale. Parking can be a problem on busy days at the visitors center.

The valley is closed to cars and you have to take the shuttle in unless you are a guest at the lodge.

The campground off 9 along the road known as mosquito cove was going to be closed by the BLM due to overuse.For good reason it was trashed.

Check with the Interagency office in ST. George if you are there during the week for lot's of information on the area. If they are closed there is a self service area that has limited brochures outside the door. It is right off exit 6 and I-15. Turn right at the exit and go a couple of blocks it's on the left.

If the crowds get to be too much head over to Squirrel and Water Canyon around Canaan Mountain for an escape.
Squirrel is the easier hike.

The Redcliffs rec area has 10 campsites but the will most likely be filled that weekend.Good hiking here.

Have a good trip.Contact me off list if you wish.
Dsrtrat

We will be heading out Memorial weekend for a two week road trip. First stop is Zion. But we will be getting there on Sunday evening in the middle of a three day weekend. Does anyone have a suggestion for a place we can camp outside of the park? Perhaps some BLM land or something/

Thanks.

#5 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:30 PM

Lots of good info, thanks. Gooseberry will probably be it for Sunday night. We'd prefer solitude but that is not likely anywhere on a three day weekend. We've made reservations in the park for the next two nights, so we are covered there. Hoping to do the Narrows Trail and Angels Landing. Mrs. Magellan gets vertigo, so I'll be solo on the latter hike.

Thanks again for the help.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#6 HikerCook

HikerCook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEl Dorado, CA

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:10 PM

The Narrows is a spectacular hike. Unlike anything I've ever done. By the end of May the Virgin River will be well off its peak flows but can still be running fast and cold. If you don't have specialized canyoneering equipment and apparel drop by Zion Rock and Mountain Guides in Springdale. They have very reasonably priced rental packages that can help make it a safe and enjoyable experience. I have no association with them other than being a satisfied customer.

Mike in El Dorado
"Moonlight Mile" '07 Nissan Frontier, '07 ATC Bobcat

#7 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:38 AM

There is the Lava Point Campground on the Kolob Plateau. Take the Kolob Reservoir Road out of the small community of Virgin on Highway 9. Even if you don't stay at Lava Point, the drive is worth doing. The road is paved (except for the very last part) and it takes you in and out of Zion N.P. through some outrageous ranch land and eventually to the plateau above Zion Canyon. There are backpacking trails and camps from there.
Enjoy

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4345.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users