Wandertheeast

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:09 AM

I am still thrashing about trying to learn how to make a report with pictures.
In this try I am trying to paste a word document with the pictures. If that works it may be the way to go.
Attached File  On the Skyline Drive in VA.doc   187K   102 downloads

#12 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:29 AM

Ok, here is my attempt at a trip report with pictures. We headed down to the Smokies on April 15 and returned in late May. Since then I have been trying in a very half hearted way to figure our how to post a trip report with pictures. While I would never challenge the notion that I am a complete idiot about computers or anything else I was programming computers in the very late 1950’s (anybody know what a tube was?) and have been involved constantly since then (50 years!!!).
I am using a Mac – the computer for the rest of us – only that does not seem to include me. My problems are probably more with the Mac than with WandertheWest but it all becomes a blur.
This time I am going to try to write my full report in Word. Then I plan to copy it and paste it into the reply space on Wanderthewest. Here goes.
The big thing about the Smokies is Rhododendrons. They are in bloom from late May to end of June (depending on altitude). We were too early but the bushes were still impressive
The hiking was fantastic, in April, I would not want to try moving much in June – October.

All sorts of wild flowers.

Campsites were fairly easy to find on weekdays but it is a good idea to get settled Friday morning for Friday-Saturday.

Just for the record this method does not work. I had lots of nice pictures in this report that have vanished into hyperspace. Will need to try another approach.

#13 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:50 AM

Just for the record this method does not work. I had lots of nice pictures in this report that have vanished into hyperspace. Will need to try another approach.

Do you use a photo hosting site like Smugmug? Makes it easy to put your pictures there and then just copy the location to other sites like this one.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#14 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:22 PM

Do you use a photo hosting site like Smugmug? Makes it easy to put your pictures there and then just copy the location to other sites like this one.

No, I have not used a photo hosting site and do not see the logic of why that should make things easier. Any way I want to figure out how to do it directly without middlemen.

#15 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

No, I have not used a photo hosting site and do not see the logic of why that should make things easier. Any way I want to figure out how to do it directly without middlemen.

Let me know what ypu figure out. Smugmug is nie as I can sharing photos with anyone anytime, I imagine others are the same. I did Skyline Drive last year and was impressed, even saw a bear on the side of the road, but I still prefer the West. Heading that way in just over a week, to Newfoundland. If the weather gets too cold in the end of September I'll head back to Skyline on the way home.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#16 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

Let me know what ypu figure out. Smugmug is nie as I can sharing photos with anyone anytime, I imagine others are the same. I did Skyline Drive last year and was impressed, even saw a bear on the side of the road, but I still prefer the West. Heading that way in just over a week, to Newfoundland. If the weather gets too cold in the end of September I'll head back to Skyline on the way home.

I can see that this is not going to be as easy as I still think it should be. But it is very helpful to know that I am not missing something obvious to the rest of the world.
Yes, West is much the best place for wandering but for me it is 4 to 5 days of straight driving to get there. I am very interested in your findings in Newfoundland, we may even head up there ourselves in September or October.

#17 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

Attached File  Biltmore diversion.doc   430.5K   102 downloads

#18 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:22 PM

I am now adding pictures to the smokies area of the members gallery. Someday I may move them over with a report but I am currently too busy making modifications to my Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users