load range E tires might be a bit to much

#12 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:02 PM

After doing a couple of days of research, calling some folks and chatting some more with BSS this is what I have learned. Everyone speaks highly of the OME products however the OME 882 coils will lift the truck a minimum of 2-inches. I also went back to looking at the toytech coil-over options I mentioned in my first post. It turns out that the TCK-D4 is an Eibach 600# coil and not a 500#. I think i could get away with a 600# coil but it would be pushing it. I know the Eibach coils are a very good product but the TCK-D4 kit seems really expensive, so I think i am going to wait till Monday and talk to the guys at Wheelers and throw their opinion into the mix. I am almost beginning to think that lifting the front end 2" may not be that bad. Oh yeah and I am going to do the Bilsteins all around, 5100s adjustable in the front and 5100s in the rear.

Have a good weekend everyone,

Cort

#13 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:22 PM

Can you guys send me your addresses? I want to give you my paperwork so you can adopt me since you have so much money to waste.

I will be a good son. "Just send money".

Darryl
ATC Bobcat, 2001 Tacoma 4X4, Supersprings, Bilsteins, Hewig Stabalizer

#14 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:43 PM

Darryl,

Have you ever seen what an overloaded Tacoma with a stock suspension does when someone tries to make an evasive maneuver......I have and its not pretty. What you may consider a waste of money I consider necessary for the safety of my family and the others driving on the road around me.

just my two cents

Cort

#15 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:08 PM

I've overloaded the 4Runner front and rear. I'm leaning on having National Springs spin me a set of coils front and rear to my needs and lift. They can make the rear with a progressive rate as when I add the tounge weight of the Casita trailer it will support it.

Cost is cheaper than you think.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#16 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:41 AM

Cort: I was only somewhat kidding. But with that said, my point is only that since the camper is not on the truck yet, you may want to consider checking it out and seeing what you have before launching into an expensive upgrade process. Once you start into after market upgrades, it can get very expensive and you haven't solved the problem you first intended to.

Example: Folks here talk about air bags. Well, I followed guy who had a fully loaded Eagle one day on the same truck I have and he was listing all over the place. I stopped and spoke to him, he told me his tire guy suggested air bags and he always does what his tire guy says. Well, his truck is still listing all over the place. For me, super springs, a rear stabilizer, and Bilsteins all around seems to work. I have not noticed any front end trouble, but now that I am putting the camper back on, I am going to investigate that. And, I always drive in the slow lane as well.

My comment came from someone mentioned adjusting the front differential and I think that is going to far, personally. Although I am very conservative and only use factory parts with minimal after market upgrades. It all has to do with what you intend to do with the vehicle. For what I am doing, I have the proper level height and stiffness. Also, in regard to overloading, etc. my comments are offered from the point of not overloading the vehicle beyond its intended purpose.

Best of fun and safety to you with your new camper.

Darryl

#17 Bat

Bat

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:25 AM

Got to TTORA and you will have an overload of info, but very good info.

#18 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:10 AM

Cort: I was only somewhat kidding. But with that said, my point is only that since the camper is not on the truck yet, you may want to consider checking it out and seeing what you have before launching into an expensive upgrade process. Once you start into after market upgrades, it can get very expensive and you haven't solved the problem you first intended to.

Example: Folks here talk about air bags. Well, I followed guy who had a fully loaded Eagle one day on the same truck I have and he was listing all over the place. I stopped and spoke to him, he told me his tire guy suggested air bags and he always does what his tire guy says. Well, his truck is still listing all over the place. For me, super springs, a rear stabilizer, and Bilsteins all around seems to work. I have not noticed any front end trouble, but now that I am putting the camper back on, I am going to investigate that. And, I always drive in the slow lane as well.

My comment came from someone mentioned adjusting the front differential and I think that is going to far, personally. Although I am very conservative and only use factory parts with minimal after market upgrades. It all has to do with what you intend to do with the vehicle. For what I am doing, I have the proper level height and stiffness. Also, in regard to overloading, etc. my comments are offered from the point of not overloading the vehicle beyond its intended purpose.

Best of fun and safety to you with your new camper.

Darryl

Darryl,

I get where you are coming from and I am sorry if I came across Snarky. My Tacoma has 168,000 miles on it and a lot of the those have been with fairly heavy loads. Currently, I have an ARB bumper and winch on the front and I can tell you that even without the camper I want to replace the coils and put the Bilsteins on. I totally agree with you on the airbags they are going to solve all your problems. I think the comment about the differential came from a lift perspective. If you raise your front end more than an inch or so and you don't drop your front differential you wear out the CV joints because of the angle that you create. Your setup sounds like it works for you and that is whats important.

Happy camping,

Cort

#19 Bat

Bat

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:35 AM

No diff drop neeeded with 2" of lift

#20 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:44 AM

Cort: When you do choose the front springs let us know. My truck has a lot of miles too. One more thought, don't get too tall so you won't be top heavy. I saw a extended cab tacoma at a local shop with a Six Pak on it and they were have trouble keeping it from swaying due to how tall the overall truck became. Also unless you are tall, you need to consider opening and closing the canvas flaps on the pop up sides and accessing the roof if you are carrying anything. I am not too tall and opening and closing the flaps is a real hassle. I now just leave them rolled up and open. You could carry a small ladder, but that seems to be a hassle too.

Regards,

Darryl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users