9 replies to this topic

#1 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

Greetings

I picked up my 2009 Hawk Sunday and have a couple things to do. Number one is installing the wiring harness. The previous owner had his mechanic friend take it off his truck.

The camper and wiring is on this page.
http://keithbarnes.s...842571826_AN24v

My guess is the black wire (+) and white wire (-) go directly to the battery. The other gadget looks like a fusible link. After mounting it in the engine area somewhere, whatever it is, does it go between the ground and the battery?

The green wire presumably goes to the stop light circuit.

Where do most people mount the bracket that holds the female receptacle?
http://keithbarnes.s...842572654_hYjYQ

Any advice will help.

Keith

BTW The wiring inside the camper is fine. The wiring going to the auxiliary battery has both sets of wires going to it. One is clearly marked solar and is charging just fine

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#2 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

Maybe this will help?

http://www.wanderthe...ge__hl__Install instructions__fromsearch__1

good luck

mtn
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,565 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

The "gadget" is a circuit breaker, it goes in the positive line between your truck battery and the camper. Additionally keep in mind FWC's wiring color scheme for the main power lines which are black/white are opposite standard practice such that White is positive and Black is negative (standard wiring is black is load and white is neutral). Just keep that in mind or pass it on to whoever does your wiring. Off hand I'd tend to think the green like is to ground the connection unless you have a brake light on your camper which made you bring up the stop light.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#4 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

i am not aware of backup lights being involved.

this is how my 2007 hawk is wired.
a white wire will run from truck battery positive to that 30 amp thermal circuit breaker, be sure to connect to the brass stud. you will mount the breaker on the firewall then run a wire from the other stud to marinco connector.
black wire from truck battery negative runs to marinco connector.
third wire on marinco connector is not used.

use the diagrams....its all very straight forward.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#5 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:32 PM

Hey Keith

e-mail me at ... stan@fourwh.com

I wrote up a reply, but couldn't attach photos for some reason?

Then I lost the entire reply in the process.

:(

Don't have time to re-write it.

We are burried alive here right now.

E-mail me and I will steer you in the right direction.

Some of the information they posted for you was good, some not correct.

Thanks !

:)

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#6 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,565 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:11 PM

Some of the information they posted for you was good, some not correct.

:huh: What was incorrect? I would appreciate some clarification as I'm not seeing anything off hand. If I'm doing something incorrectly I'd love to rectify that.

Mtn-high linked to some FWC instructions.

I said that is a circuit breaker which is accurate, and stated you guys wire backwards from standard with white being positive which is accurate (unless you just recently changed that which I doubt). I said the green might be a ground but didn't state a fact about anything on that due to lack of info.

Herr42 stated white wire is positive which is accurate. It is a thermal breaker as stated. I can't recall off hand that the brass stud is input or output but would give herr42 the benefit of the doubt unless you'd like to rebut it. The breaker doesn't actually need to be mounted on the firewall but if it was wouldn't hurt anything. Black is the negative wire between the battery and connector. Not sure if that connector is specifically a "marinco" or not. Either way he was just describing his own rig.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#7 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:02 PM

look at the original post.
dorocks has the polarity reversed.

i was describing my rig....i went out and opened the hood to check the breaker connections.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#8 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,565 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:07 PM

look at the original post.
dorocks has the polarity reversed.

Assuming this was addressed to me, that was him that said that and all of our responses corrected that. Stan said either me or you posted something incorrect and its not jumping at me what it is.

#9 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:53 PM

Everything is good !

:)

No worries.

I just want to make sure the customers get the right information.

I love the fact that we have so many FWC followers that can chime in to help each other out.

I sometimes see people posting weird questions, and then wonder why they just don't call the factory to get the information from us ?

Then I think about how busy it gets around here and realize it takes some time for us to get back to customers if they don't reach us on the phone the first time around.

Or if the customers needs basic information after hours or on a weekend, the forum is a great resource.

The only point I wanted to clairify was the green wire.

The older campers won't have the green wire for slot # 3 on the Marinco plug.

The green wire is for the new LED running lights we install on all of the new "full sized" campers.

The green wire needs to be hooked into your tail light wire, or you can make a plug for it and plug it in to your trailer wiring plug by your hitch. That way when you turn your truck head lights on, the LED marker / running lights will come on too.

Keep up the good work !

Happy Camping

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#10 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,565 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users