Introduction

KK7OQ

Hello all. I'm Jim from Albany, Oregon. I have been lurking here for about three years...... ever since my wife told me she wasn't sleeping on the ground anymore! I've learned a lot here and hope to put some of the info to good use. My wife has been looking for a horse trailer and found a Four Wheel Camper for sale on Tacktrader.com. Lucky for me, it wasn't on Craigslist. I am now the proud owner of a 2002 Hawk. It has a sink, furnace, 3 way fridge, fantastic fan, auxilary battery and camper jacks. It seems to be in very good condition and everything works (might need to replace the battery tho...).The great part is it was only 50 miles from home and $2,500! Am I lucky or what? I've been trying everything out and stocking necessities all weekend and hope to do a short shakedown trip to the coast next weekend. I am looking forward to doing some camping again, and really looking forward to participating in ham radio's Field Day from the comfort of the camper. I'll attempt to post some pic's after I visit somewhere scenic.

A quick question... Does the little button (and accompanying green light) on the DC power outlet really do anything?

$2500 bucks! ! ! I'm calling the cops, you stole that thing. Welcome to the forum. My DC outlet doesn't have a light so I can't help you there.

Mike

Your stars were certainly aligned, that's awesome!

welcome! i dont have a light on the dc outlet either (2007 hawk)

find out what it is!

WW6L

Hello all. I'm Jim from Albany, Oregon. I have been lurking here for about three years...... ever since my wife told me she wasn't sleeping on the ground anymore!

I'll attempt to post some pic's after I visit somewhere scenic.

A quick question... Does the little button (and accompanying green light) on the DC power outlet really do anything?

Welcome KK!

Post pics even if you aren't "somewhere scenic." We like all photos!

Stew

The great part is it was only 50 miles from home and $2,500!

WOW! :eek:

I am also unsure about what you are refering to here. Can you post a picture of it for clarification?

Congrats. What a deal. Should make your wife very happy. I agree, push the button and send pics.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I finally realized what the button next to the 12 volt outlet is for. The camper cme with a crank-up TV antenna. The 12 volt outlet also has a coaxial cable connector for television. I think the button (and green light) is an antenna amplifier. The fact that the cover says "Winegard" on it should have been a big clue (Duh...)!
12 volt plug.jpeg

Another question. I've read the archives but could use some clarification. My Hawk has the original "short" cabover bed with the about 2" thick mattresses. They are really hard. Would one of Costco's Memory Foam Mattress Topper's work well on top of the existing mattresses? Would I still be able to put the top down with it in place?

Here's a picture of my Hawk..... I still think I should have waited till I was somewhere more scenic than my driveway!
My New Camper.jpeg

Thanks, Jim

I have the same 2" mattresses, you can not sleep on them. I did the dinette conversion and we move the 4" cushions up top and leave the 2" mattresses on top of each other. Big improvement, but we only sleep two. I have thought about a air mattress for the top.

You got a great deal. now, enjoy!

I have the same camper as you, but a hawk shell 2001. Short bed over cab. 2inch mattresses suck, but not much else fits up there. Memory foam is nice, but I find it a bit hard in the winter or when cold. I have been using two backpacking thermarests (they are thinner) and place them under the mattresses. Inflate at camp, deflate to travel. One fits nice with top down, if I have two I notice more leaks when raining. Keep the other next to the side window.

Now, your rolling ham shack on wheels.
Get some antennas, coax and power back there. Talk about comfy operating.

de Dave n0xlw in Seattle

Thanks for the warm welcome! I finally realized what the button next to the 12 volt outlet is for. The camper cme with a crank-up TV antenna. The 12 volt outlet also has a coaxial cable connector for television. I think the button (and green light) is an antenna amplifier. The fact that the cover says "Winegard" on it should have been a big clue (Duh...)!
View attachment 8500

Another question. I've read the archives but could use some clarification. My Hawk has the original "short" cabover bed with the about 2" thick mattresses. They are really hard. Would one of Costco's Memory Foam Mattress Topper's work well on top of the existing mattresses? Would I still be able to put the top down with it in place?

Here's a picture of my Hawk..... I still think I should have waited till I was somewhere more scenic than my driveway!
View attachment 8501

Thanks, Jim

Unfortunately you get four inches and thats it. Can't even leave a sleeping bag up there. So, you could use a four inch topper, but, you'd have to leave the bed extended. You can always just toss one up there when you're camped but then you need to store it somewhere and they don't roll up all that small.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom