• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#11 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

The Dometic fridge consumes 115 watts at 9.5 amps per hour. More than twice as much as the Coleman. Here is a link for the manual; Dometic manual
It states that "the engine should not be left running while in the 12v mode". Page 6, section 14,b. You need to run on propane when your in camp, the 12v is for enroute. -joel

The way I look at it the Coleman uses less than 1/4 of the power at least at 37 degrees. I guess it doesn'tneed to be so level either.

The power consuption of the Coleman is .66 Amps for the lowest setting to 4 Amps on the freezer. The temps for the 5 settings are;
1. Cool one- 50 degrees 8 watts/.66 Amps
2. Cool two- 43 degrees 16 watts/1.33 Amps
3. Cool three- 37 degrees 27 watts/2.25 Amps
4. Freeze one- 19 degrees 42 watts/3.5 Amps
5 Freeze two- -.4 degrees 55 watts/4.1 Amps
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#12 SLOJET

SLOJET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo, CA

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:57 AM

The way I look at it the Coleman uses less than 1/4 of the power at least at 37 degrees. I guess it doesn'tneed to be so level either.

The power consuption of the Coleman is .66 Amps for the lowest setting to 4 Amps on the freezer. The temps for the 5 settings are;
1. Cool one- 50 degrees 8 watts/.66 Amps
2. Cool two- 43 degrees 16 watts/1.33 Amps
3. Cool three- 37 degrees 27 watts/2.25 Amps
4. Freeze one- 19 degrees 42 watts/3.5 Amps
5 Freeze two- -.4 degrees 55 watts/4.1 Amps

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. Any feedback on leveling issues with the 3 way? My driveway has more than a three degree slope so I can't figure I'd be able to do much better on the trail....Skeeter, where do you keep your coleman? In the camper or truck. I thought I could get it in between the couch and cabinets but it won't quite fit. I suppose I could always keep it in the extra cab of the truck but I'd like to find a good spot to put it in the camper. ideas?
2001 Hawk on a 2009 4WD Dodge 2500 Diesel.

#13 Skeeter

Skeeter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationWA and AZ

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

Hey Dave, I keep it in the camper on the floor. I have a shell model so I can load up what ever I need depending on what kind of trip and where Im going. I have a regular cab Ranger which is underpowered and has no room, so where in the process of moving up to a Tacoma or Tundra. Good luck on your fridge decision, I dont think you can go wrong either way. If you install a three way, your resale may be better also. Someone posted a Engel install with a custom platform that goes behing the driver in an extra cab. They took out the seats and it looked liked a good idea. You can raid the fridge while your enroute. - Joel
"Can you skin grizz pilgrim?" -Bear Claw - 03' Tacoma, 97' Ranger II

#14 SLOJET

SLOJET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:30 PM

Hey Dave, I keep it in the camper on the floor. I have a shell model so I can load up what ever I need depending on what kind of trip and where Im going. I have a regular cab Ranger which is underpowered and has no room, so where in the process of moving up to a Tacoma or Tundra. Good luck on your fridge decision, I dont think you can go wrong either way. If you install a three way, your resale may be better also. Someone posted a Engel install with a custom platform that goes behing the driver in an extra cab. They took out the seats and it looked liked a good idea. You can raid the fridge while your enroute. - Joel

I've decided to go back in the stock location with a 3-way. Thanks for all the advise.

#15 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:23 AM

I've never had leveling problems with my 3way. If the camper is level enough to sleep in, the refer has been level enough to work.

Mike

#16 SLOJET

SLOJET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:01 PM

I've never had leveling problems with my 3way. If the camper is level enough to sleep in, the refer has been level enough to work.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Dsrtrat was nice enough to offer up a used dometic 2191 and I now have it sitting in the garage. After a couple trips in the camper now, I realize anything much over 3 degrees tilt is annoying to sleep with, so the hopefully the leveling issue is a non issue.

#17 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

I'm luvin it so far. Just returned from an nine day trip and all is muy bueno. B)

marc

Attached Thumbnails

• 082.JPG

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#18 Skeeter

Skeeter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationWA and AZ

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

Hey Marc, what kind of electrical setup do you have? -Joel
"Can you skin grizz pilgrim?" -Bear Claw - 03' Tacoma, 97' Ranger II

#19 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

Everything sounds great except the size. It says 36 cans, or 3 12 packs, while the dimensions are 13 X 13 X 8, that seems quite small, not 3 12 packs. In my mind that seems more like 1 12 pack.

Again, it's 1/2 the price of the Engel.

#20 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:46 PM

Hey Marc, what kind of electrical setup do you have? -Joel

Hi Joel

I just have a single 100AH house battery that charges off the truck run through a Battery Seperator/Smart Solenoid made by Sure Power Idustries. I can run everything I use for two solid days, or three days with just fridge and lights.

marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users