41 replies to this topic

#11 CJinCA

CJinCA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:56 AM

I find that brandishing a camera has some effect. It won't stop arrogant people, but it may make a simple idiot apologize and/or think about the next infraction. Unfortunately, the one time I turned over photographic evidence of a violation similar to your example, I never heard back from the ranger, so I don't know if it worked against that arrogant person, or not.

There’s not a great deal you can do. Many of these miscreants are armed and under the influence of alcohol or other drugs. With the financial constraints law enforcement is currently under in most places, there are just not enough officers, rangers, deputies available to cite the offenders.

The camera or video camera is a good idea. Forward it to the proper authorities with the offer to submit a written statement and/or swear out a complaint.

A few years back, I did manage to rid an area of some fools by looking directly at them and making a cell call to Law Enforcement. They had the brains to realize that I was reporting them. The call didn’t connect, but they didn’t know that. They left hastily while I grinned.

#12 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:31 AM

Pretty much like LuckyDan. Maybe a phone call if I was lucky enough to have cell coverage.

I've read a couple books about the early days of the CA fish and game department. While the vehicles have changed, hoodlums in the woods has been going on a long time.

Craig, Those books by Terry Grosz?? If you haven't read any of his books, I highly recommend them. I met Terry years ago when I first became a Deputy Sheriff, and he was a Federal Game Management Agent. My two favorites are "Wildlife Wars" when he worked for Cal Fish & Game, and "For Love of Wildness: The Journal of a U.S. Game Management Agent" after he became a Fed.

If those clowns were in CA. I know what I would have done, but have no authority in Nev. :angry:

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#13 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

Those are the kinda peeps whose camping gear magically disappears while they are out riding their little eco-system destroying machines.

Poof. Gone.

Anybody need a tent?

mtn
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#14 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:42 PM

Those are the kinda peeps whose camping gear magically disappears while they are out riding their little eco-system destroying machines.

Poof. Gone.

Anybody need a tent?

mtn

Interesting concept MTN, it's called theft.
Puts you down on the same level as them, if not a little lower.
No thanks.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#15 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:33 PM

Yeah DR, it would be better to call "the authorities"....but as folks have pointed out....WTF are they when you need 'em?

So folks do nothing and it becomes mere Internet fodder? A picture to comment on?

THAT sure showed 'em, huh?

Guess where they'll camp next weekend?

yup. Someone else's problem.

2 years later....

"Hmm....I wonder why that road is closed and there's "No Camping" whatsoever allowed up there anymore?"

Theifs. Yeah...that's it.Posted Image

Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#16 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,359 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:26 PM

what did you do?

Early yesterday morning I sent photos with an email to the Inyo. This is the text (not in its entirety). I will post if anything comes of this.

"Please find attached three photos. We were up Trail Canyon to the trailhead for Boundary Peak on Sunday afternoon, May 30, 2010.

The photos are of the meadow just below the trailhead. As you know, there are four barricades in close order around this small meadow. These folks' disregard for this signing was so blatant; they had two spare tires propped up against one.

If these photos can help in getting these people cited, I am happy to help in any way. Since this appears to be a recently purchased used vehicle in Nevada, a little more detective work may be necessary.

What would be the cites for this and the probable fines?

I am also curious if any other members of the public reported this to the Forest. These people’s action here was so “in your face” it was stunning to me. Many people and vehicles went right by these folks.

The one adult male that was in camp when I stopped to take photos was holding a small hand axe as he watched me. I did not approach him nor did he approach me.

It is my wish these folks are prosecuted to the maximum extent possible."

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#17 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:02 PM

i too am a law breaker.

i have let my dog off his leash in places that have well posted leash laws.
not everywhere...just a few specific places.

Dogs are noted to have a bad impact in certain environments.

Some believe this is significant.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#18 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:07 PM

Land of many uses has it's problems and conflicts for sure. I have been on both sides of it working for the Forest Service and taking my dog up Mosaic canyon right past the sign. The key to remember is that there is very little good that is likely to come from a face to face conflict out there with someone but lots and lots of bad that can come of it. At the very least it will ruin your day if not your trip, at the worst it could end in physical altercation or death. Being a Ranger is one of the most dangerous jobs in America...why? Because there are a bunch of half brained, well armed, wing nuts running around the woods. Document it, report it and if you really want to go the distance organize a meadow restoration or signage campaign for the area but don't confront idiots in the wilderness the consequences can be just too high!

That's my 2 cents.
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#19 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,026 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:17 AM

[quote name='Deltarat' date='01 June 2010 - 07:31 PM' timestamp='1275445863' post='35587']
Craig, Those books by Terry Grosz?? If you haven't read any of his books, I highly recommend them. I met Terry years ago when I first became a Deputy Sheriff, and he was a Federal Game Management Agent. My two favorites are "Wildlife Wars" when he worked for Cal Fish & Game, and "For Love of Wildness: The Journal of a U.S. Game Management Agent" after he became a Fed.

The ones by Terry Hodges. http://www.gamewarden.net/terry.html
I'll have to check out Terry Grosz.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#20 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:28 AM

Interesting concept MTN, it's called theft.
Puts you down on the same level as them, if not a little lower.
No thanks.

I disagree. Often there is a fine line between vigilantism and justice, occasionally, the line is quit broad. Although I wouldn’t encourage others to act as MTN suggests, if I was there, I probably would have had my back to the scene when that stuff disappeared, especially if I knew it was going to be turned in as “lost and found” or donated to a charity. I respect law and order, I also respect right and wrong.

Early yesterday morning I sent photos with an email to the Inyo. This is the text (not in its entirety). I will post if anything comes of this.

"Please find attached three photos. We were up Trail Canyon to the trailhead for Boundary Peak on Sunday afternoon, May 30, 2010.

The photos are of the meadow just below the trailhead. As you know, there are four barricades in close order around this small meadow. These folks' disregard for this signing was so blatant; they had two spare tires propped up against one.

If these photos can help in getting these people cited, I am happy to help in any way. Since this appears to be a recently purchased used vehicle in Nevada, a little more detective work may be necessary.

What would be the cites for this and the probable fines?

I am also curious if any other members of the public reported this to the Forest. These people’s action here was so “in your face” it was stunning to me. Many people and vehicles went right by these folks.

The one adult male that was in camp when I stopped to take photos was holding a small hand axe as he watched me. I did not approach him nor did he approach me.

It is my wish these folks are prosecuted to the maximum extent possible."

Well done ski3pin.

i too am a law breaker.

i have let my dog off his leash in places that have well posted leash laws.
not everywhere...just a few specific places.

Dogs are noted to have a bad impact in certain environments.

Some believe this is significant.

I too, am guilty of this offense. Though the signs are often 20+ miles away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users