22 replies to this topic

#11 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:08 PM

They closed Cattle guard and Moraine campgrounds last year as a test, they say. Wonder if they are going to re open?

We used to sleep in the trail head parking lot at Saddlebag Lake until the new person running the Forest Service was rattling people out of their vehicles and moving them on.

When it is the busy season all the campgrounds are full and having the 2 closed there does not help. There is no place to stealth camp up there.

A "test", eh? This is not good to hear.

We used to camp to the east across 395 in the woods north or south of 120 on FS roads. There were some great places north near the beach on Mono Lake (need 4x4), or south behind Mono Craters, but I wonder if they are shutting that down these days, too.

Any word, PV?

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,361 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:52 PM

They closed Cattle guard and Moraine campgrounds last year as a test, they say. Wonder if they are going to re open?

If you are curious about changes and reasons, stop by the ranger station just up the Canyon. I believe they would be happy to help.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:28 AM

It is called Whoa Nellie Deli. I hit at least twice a year on motorcycle rides.

Link to there web site, well worth the trip.
http://www.whoanelliedeli.com/

#14 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

Being a Chef myself I have to say the food is outstanding.
They also have a great beer and wine selection to match the food.

#15 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:11 AM

Overpriced perhaps, but not overrated. I mean, $20 is a lot of money for tacos anywhere you go. But MAN they're good.

They also have live music a few nights a month and they'll let you consume beer from the store on the premises and camp in the upper lot near the flagpole for free. It's a GREAT time. I agree the camping in LV canyon is a bit dicey and crowded, but the good news is it's not the only spot around. There has got to be more high quality, scenic, dispersed camping within driving proximity than anywhere else I can think of.

#16 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

We used to camp to the east across 395 in the woods north or south of 120 on FS roads. There were some great places north near the beach on Mono Lake (need 4x4), or south behind Mono Craters, but I wonder if they are shutting that down these days, too.

In an early-May trip this year, while heading back north/home from the White Mts, I camped on the south side of Mono Lake, off 120 where it comes closest to the Lake by Mono Craters, and there were no signs prohibiting camping...at least, no signs on the minor (but numbered) FS road I was on.

To stay on topic, though...I haven't stopped at the Mobil Mart yet, but on this recent Sierra-east trip I met a local camping couple (Bishop residents), and they mentioned the Mobil Mart: the wife said "the food is wonderful!" and the husband said "too expensive!"...FWIW.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#17 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 961 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:37 AM

I stopped by there for lunch on the way to the XP rally. I was looking forward to it all morning and when I saw they had carnitas tacos (my favorite) life was looking good. That is until the food arrived. That was the worst carnitas and possibly the worst meal I have ever been served. Chunks of undercooked pork fat on luke warm store bought tortillas with runny black beans. Never again.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#18 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

I stopped by there for lunch on the way to the XP rally. I was looking forward to it all morning and when I saw they had carnitas tacos (my favorite) life was looking good. That is until the food arrived. That was the worst carnitas and possibly the worst meal I have ever been served. Chunks of undercooked pork fat on luke warm store bought tortillas with runny black beans. Never again.

It was THAT bad, eh?

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#19 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

Gotta agree withh Camelracer on this one. First time I had lunch there was with a group. I had the chicken ceaser salad wrap. It was ok at best. Gave them a second try on a trip with my wife and neither of us were happy with the lunch. Third visit was for breakfast, ham and cheese on a croissant. Literally burned the ham black. I am yet to understand the hype. That said, most people rave about the fish tacos, so if I were with a group that wanted to go there, I'd try those. But overall, I think the place is over rated and wouldn't go back on my own.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#20 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

wow I am surprised to hear that.
The few times i eat there the food was most outstanding.
That was a few years back though.
I did stop there last weekend but the line was too long so I didn't end up getting anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users