• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 realbtl

realbtl

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBigfork Montana

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:06 PM

I spur-of-the-moment decided to check out Kintla Lake in Glacier before the 4th of July crowds descend. It is up past Polebridge on the west side of the park about 15 miles past Polebridge. You don't need 4wd but it's slow going, took me about 1 hour for the 15 miles. There are no motors allowed on the lake but there were several canoes and kyacks out fishing. There are about a dozen campsites either on the lake or on Kintla Creek and 8 or 9 were occupied by the time I left.

Attached Thumbnails

• Kintla Lake 1.jpg
  • Kintla Lake 2.jpg
  • Kintla Lake 3.jpg
  • Kintla Lake 5.jpg

1963 VW Sunroof, 1996 Corvette Convertible (summer) 2004 Ranger, 2008 Subie Legacy GT (snow) 1997 F250 now known as The Big Green Beast Cougar shell picked up 8-28-09, mods begun

#2 realbtl

realbtl

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBigfork Montana

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:17 PM

I had a typical thunderstorm blow through in the afternoon, lots of thunder but very little rain on me, only got driven inside once for about 10 minutes. The drive out today was beautiful, especially the Big Prairie section of Kintla road.

The Good: great scenery driving in and at the lake, campsites right by the creek, of course the Polebridge bakery.
The Bad: Campsites are very close together, the 20-somethings were talking and chopping wood until late at night, you could hear the tired 5 year olds at the other end of the camp.

This would make a great spot in the fall after the tourists leave and I'll probably go back then. If you are headed that way I'd recommend Bowman Lake instead. There are about 30 campsites and when I was there last Sun. mid-day there were about 10 taken. Sites are also much more private. Of course this is local for me (3 hrs away) so I may be more picky.

Attached Thumbnails

• Kintla Lake 4.jpg
  • Kintla Lake 6.jpg
  • Kintla Lake 7.jpg

1963 VW Sunroof, 1996 Corvette Convertible (summer) 2004 Ranger, 2008 Subie Legacy GT (snow) 1997 F250 now known as The Big Green Beast Cougar shell picked up 8-28-09, mods begun

#3 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

Looks great! Love the area, yes September sounds best.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#4 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:16 AM

Nice photos, Beetle. You should post some to the Glacier National Park section.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:25 AM

Great looking country that we haven't yet visited. Thanks for the nice photos and report.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:26 AM

Kintla Lake... one of my absolute favorites. And yeah, you're kind of piled on top of each other in the campground, but that lake view is worth it. That was my only complaint about Bowman Lake, is there weren't any sites that close to the lake.

And Polebridge... you just can't beat the Huckleberry Bearclaws at the bakery. Good dinners at the Northern Lights Saloon too! I really enjoyed my trip up there in the summer of '07, especially the Aurorafest Concert they put on in August. We went back in '08, but there were some bad fires in Idaho and all of the smoke blew over into the Flathead Valley. You could barely see Bowman Lake from the shoreline...

But I gotta get back for more of those huckleberry bearclaws, good stuff!

Smokey in 2008...
Posted Image

..but at least I got my bearclaws!
Posted Image

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users