• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

Our family is planning to go to an area we have not been to - Lassen Volcanic Park and the surrounding area. My wife and I are going in my Tundra and FWC. My son is tagging along in my Jeep. So our trip will combine easy off-road trails that the both of us can go on with harder trails where we all go in the Jeep and leave the truck in camp (the more primitive and isolated the better)

Our resource books and maps show some roads in the park and quite a few around it. I wanted to ask the group for any suggestions of must see places based on your past travels. It is a given that we will tour the park proper.

Thanks
Keith Barnes
La Mesa CA

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#2 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:22 PM

go here and get a forest sevice map http://www.fs.fed.us...estvisitormaps/

i would buy one of those new synthetic ones....8 bucks.

we go to willow spring cg. it is no longer a forest svc cg, they pulled the iron ranger years ago.
to the north of the old vault toilet a few hundred yards is a area at the edge of the forest boundary. there is a spring fed pool full of brook trout. dont eat em....that would be tantamount to woofing on someones koi.

its at T29N R5E S12

this is one of those areas where although the land is flat, the brush and tree limbs can make it hard to drive into.
i guess the traffic will determine that. it seems to be a little more overgrown each year. there is a nice road right up to the pool...you just have to navigate through the pine branches.

i have always been the only one in the area...we heard atv and pickups out on the main road...but no one ever stops.

wilson lake is just further up the road....the geese will overfly you at 8 ft, honking as they take off en masse an hour before first light.

a ranger stopped once while we were there. my avatar pic was there.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

No roads in the park proper and not much in that area you need a Jeep for. Don't forget a trip to the Cinder Cone. A bit more of a drive but the Jeep would be handy for exploring the area around the Ishi Wildnerness. The indians would summer around lassen then go down to the mill and deer creek areas.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:01 PM

thats a really good area too! the bridge across mill creek at black rock always has huge salmon holding underneath.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#5 john101477

john101477

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationVina, Ca.

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:39 PM

I suppose I should chime in here and hopefully you have not left for the trip yet. Lassen is great and a day in the park is always nice. There is always burney falls as well in that general area. From burney falls it is a semi short drive up to shasta as well. Everything is paved through here excpet for a few roads and logging roads.

The ishi wilderness is also nice but not one I would do at the same time as lassen. Also right now the roads into the ishi wilderness such as ponderosa way are extremely dusty and very hot.

Now if I was planning trip right now. I would do the lassen park for the day and then head to chester and into juniper lake. It would be a very memorable trip for you
86 4runner Northern Cal Images northerncalimages.com

#6 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:25 PM

...and then head to chester and into juniper lake. It would be a very memorable trip for you.

Looked these up and will try it out when we get there.

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#7 john101477

john101477

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationVina, Ca.

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:43 AM

Looking forward to seeing and hearing about the trip
86 4runner Northern Cal Images northerncalimages.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic